Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#91612 by JohnAx
Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:51 am
I bought the ooma Mobile app with considerable anticipation, prior to a holiday trip. We've been hauling our ooma with us and the half-convenience ('half' = 'no incoming calls') of not having to do that sounded great.

It almost never worked. When it did, it was fine, but most of the time attemtping a call got a 'call failed, network disconnected' error. Someone suggested regenerating the psw, but that didn't help. (I don't know which 'network' was 'disconnected', but it certainly wasn't the local wifi connection)

There's some discussion in the chatter area of this board, but I think since ooma is promoting and selling the application and service, it should be a support issue, so I posted here. ooma support people are typically quite candid about issues, and perhaps this was covered in a posting I didn't find, but I'd appreciate hearing about the problems and plans.
#91706 by JohnAx
Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:29 am
Beats me. ooma sells an Android app and the Galaxy SII ships with a very modern Android release (not that Samsung necessarily got everything perfect).
#91707 by thunderbird
Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:45 am
Read this post: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10594&start=10
Gearscout wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:33 pm, I use my Ooma app all the time on my iPhone when I'm traveling around the world. I do a lot of travel for business.

Because we want/need Premier (2 lines) we get free calls. There's never a charge for calling the home number (or any Ooma phone.)

I can call my home, the office, my kids...it's great! I do not think a one-time charge of $10 is too much for this.

If you have an MacBook or MacBookPro, you can hardwire your internet connection and then use AirPort to link to your iPhone/iPad and make calls in your room to anywhere. Some hotels try to block your use of VOIP over their wireless connections, but they can't block what they don't see using this method.

My old phone bills were right at $100/month for two lines and all the extras. I'm now paying $13.75 a month for Premier and the taxes...and LOVIN' IT!

;-)
#91709 by JohnAx
Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:28 am
Didn't see anything in the linked thread relevant to my concerns.

Also surprised that ooma support seems silent - they often are pretty active with 'we're working on it' (or not, but at least they explain their position.) Makes me think they've found out that Android is a herd of cats, not a homogenous OS like Apple's.

Off topic, I'm actually torn between my 'antique' Nokia E71 (which has absolutely terrible integration between its pieces, but actually does voice-dial at a to-die-for performance level) and the Galaxy (which has a keep-up-with-the-Jones screen and much better integration, but can't even spell 'voice-dial'.)
#91730 by thunderbird
Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:55 pm
JohnAx wrote:Didn't see anything in the linked thread relevant to my concerns.

You were both using Ooma Mobile software, right? The difference was the different brand phones that it is installed in? That should help you troubleshoot.

JohnAx wrote:Also surprised that ooma support seems silent - they often are pretty active with 'we're working on it' (or not, but at least they explain their position.) Makes me think they've found out that Android is a herd of cats, not a homogenous OS like Apple's.

Off topic, I'm actually torn between my 'antique' Nokia E71 (which has absolutely terrible integration between its pieces, but actually does voice-dial at a to-die-for performance level) and the Galaxy (which has a keep-up-with-the-Jones screen and much better integration, but can't even spell 'voice-dial'.)