Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#91395 by Nicksw
Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:36 pm
After experiencing a mysterious outage on Christmas day (flashing red light and busy signal all day which cleared by itself at 9pm - see my earlier post), I am getting more strange symptoms...

Now, when I call a number all I hear is silence. The phone on the other end is, in fact, ringing - I checked it with my cell, and successfully made a restaurant reservation - but I hear no ringing on my Ooma connected phone.

Also, if voice mail picks up I only hear the END of the message (in one case just the final beep!)

Ironically, I did get a ring tone when I called Ooma support (nobody there to help me, of course), but no, my problem was not cleared - I tried other numbers afterwards, and the silence was still there.

It HAD been working fine for about 6 months until these problems.

Any ideas?

~N

(BTW. The customer service number was IMPOSSIBLE to find. I assume this is deliberate. I eventually found it in the sig of someone's forum post!)
#91396 by thunderbird
Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:47 pm
Nicksw:
How do you have your Ooma connected, Modem-Ooma-Router or Modem-Router-Ooma?

First:
Try removing power from your Ooma device for 20 minutes, then Repower the Ooma device.

One thing that the one of the Ooma moderators suggested is that the Modem be rebooted while waiting for the twenty minutes to pass.

Next you could try the Ooma Telo Factory reset:
Ooma Telo Factory Reset:
Dial *#*#099 on the phone attached to Telo to issue a factory reset.
A recording will come on the line and ask if you really want to do a factory reset. Press 1 for yes, and press 2 or hang up for no. After pressing 1, you will hear a busy signal. After hanging up, the number 1 light stays lit yellow on the face of the Ooma Telo. After a short period of time, only the number 1 & 2 lights remain lit blue. Then after more time, the Ooma Telo goes into the boot sequence, and comes back on line.

If you are using an Ooma Wi-Fi dongle, you have to access Ooma Setup and rescan for the Wi-Fi network before a Wi-Fi connection can be made. The same is true for DSL, if you have to enter Connection type PPoE and a Name and Password for the Internet provider connection. You will have to reset MAC address to Use Built In, reset your Quality of Service Upstream/Downstream Internet Speed settings, and Bluetooth settings if you are using Ooma’s USB Bluetooth dongle. You may have to re-register the Ooma Telo handsets, see procedure later in text.

Note: Sometimes the *#*#099 command has to be issued three or four times, before the factory reset sequence starts and is completed.

Third:
There may be other things that can be done, once I know how your Ooma device is connected.
#91403 by murphy
Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:06 am
Nicksw wrote:(BTW. The customer service number was IMPOSSIBLE to find. I assume this is deliberate. I eventually found it in the sig of someone's forum post!)

It's the same as every other company on the internet.
Go to the home page.

https://www.ooma.com

Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the word "Contact".

https://www.ooma.com/company/contact
#91585 by stevensrk
Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:46 pm
I have exactly this same problem, but I am using a Hub connected Hub -> Router -> Internet. I also have a Telo connected Telo -> Router(same) -> Internet. The Telo works perfectly.

When I call from the Hub phone to the Telo phone I get ring tones, but when I call any other real phones, the ring tones usually do not occur.

Is there a factory reset procedure similar to the 20-minutes power off/ *#*#099 codes for the Telo?

Thanks!
#91588 by thunderbird
Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:53 pm
stevensrk wrote:I have exactly this same problem, but I am using a Hub connected Hub -> Router -> Internet. I also have a Telo connected Telo -> Router(same) -> Internet. The Telo works perfectly.

When I call from the Hub phone to the Telo phone I get ring tones, but when I call any other real phones, the ring tones usually do not occur.

Is there a factory reset procedure similar to the 20-minutes power off/ *#*#099 codes for the Telo?

Thanks!

Hub and/or Scout factory reset sequence:

1) Remove the power for the Ooma device.
2) Hold down the Ooma tab [blue light] and connect the power. Hold for 30 seconds until all the lights start flashing.

Once the lights stop flashing, release the Ooma tab and the device will reset to factory settings.

Some people say they have to do the reset several times in a row before they have success.

The 20 minute power off is the same for either the Telo or Hub.
#91771 by Nicksw
Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:22 pm
Thanks! It looks like the factory reset fixed my problem.

BTW the symptoms were strange. Calls to Ooma support, or international calls, got a ring tone. Calls to US domestic or cell numbers got silence -- and lost the first part of any audio when the call was answered. In addition I had random outages (flashing red ooma symbol) that were (usually) fixed by a power cycle.

Hope it stays up now...
#91774 by thunderbird
Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:19 pm
Nicksw wrote:Thanks! It looks like the factory reset fixed my problem.

BTW the symptoms were strange. Calls to Ooma support, or international calls, got a ring tone. Calls to US domestic or cell numbers got silence -- and lost the first part of any audio when the call was answered. In addition I had random outages (flashing red ooma symbol) that were (usually) fixed by a power cycle.

Hope it stays up now...

Info only:
We had all sorts of strange problems with our home's Ooma Telo today. We have a second Ooma Telo and it functioned just fine. I also did a factory reset, but haven't tested since.