Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#91314 by twex
Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:44 pm
I have tried several times unsuccessfully to connect Ooma for home distribution.
Here's what I have done:
1) Cancelled AT&T service
2) Ensured AT&T connections are unplugged to the house in the utility box outside my home
3) Plugged phone cord into 'phone' port on Ooma Telo' and into wall jack. Tried several cords, same error. Used dust spray can to clean jack opening.
4) Here's the problem. Cordless phone works (get dial tone) when tried the first time when off of the base. When I set the phone back in the base, then try to use again, I get busy signal. Same with other phones in the house. Not sure why it works outside of base when I plug the cords in, and I can use multiple times, but the problem is when I reset the phone back into the cordless phone base. Any tips?
#91315 by lbmofo
Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:59 pm
I suppose your phone base is plugged in the wall? What happens when phone base is connected directly to the Ooma?

If your phone works properly when plugged directly to Ooma, then, your house wiring must not be disconnected from the Telephone company properly.
#91318 by twex
Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:22 pm
Hi Lbmofo, thanks for responding.

Yes, when the phone base is plugged directly into the Ooma Telo, all works fine. I contacted Ooma and they told me to call an electrician but I don't really want to do that.

AT&T told me that if all of the 'phone jack' looking items in the utility box are 'unplugged', then no power is coming into the house. I find this hard to believe because the first time I opened the box, they were originally all 'unplugged'. So how did I originally get AT&T service to my home then? They were not able to help me.

Should I take a photo of the wires in the box and upload it to the forum?
#91319 by thunderbird
Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:23 pm
twex wrote:Hi Lbmofo, thanks for responding.

Yes, when the phone base is plugged directly into the Ooma Telo, all works fine. I contacted Ooma and they told me to call an electrician but I don't really want to do that.

AT&T told me that if all of the 'phone jack' looking items in the utility box are 'unplugged', then no power is coming into the house. I find this hard to believe because the first time I opened the box, they were originally all 'unplugged'. So how did I originally get AT&T service to my home then? They were not able to help me.

Should I take a photo of the wires in the box and upload it to the forum?

Should I take a photo of the wires in the box and upload it to the forum? yes
#91322 by twex
Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:47 pm
Here is the image of the phone utility box. Note when I opened the box for the first time since calling AT&T to shut off service, the cords that look like phone jacks were already unplugged. Not sure why.

Figured out how to show the image with the below url:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/43025256/IMG_0190.jpg
#91324 by lbmofo
Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:08 pm
Looks like the house wiring is all attached to the top terminal wth the gray swing door. You'd need to disconnect the house wires from the top terminal, otherwise, the gray swing door closing connects the house wiring to the telephone company.
#91334 by twex
Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:16 pm
Lbmofo,

Thanks so much for your insight. I had called AT&T before as stated in my post and they wouldn't help me with this, saying if all of the 'jacks' were unplugged i was fine! Do I need to protect myself with gloves or anything or is it safe just to cut the wires?
#91335 by lbmofo
Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:00 am
I think that swing door opened would disconnect your house wiring from the telephone company.

I think there are screw terminals under the swing door? (or some other kind of wire terminals?)

Like this?

If so, just get the wires off the screw terminals.

If not, take a pic of what's inside the swing door and show us.
#91385 by twex
Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:49 pm
thanks, will check it out. how did you embed the photo into your reply without sending a link, by the way?
#91388 by thunderbird
Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:14 pm
twex wrote:thanks, will check it out. how did you embed the photo into your reply without sending a link, by the way?

When you are Posting or Posting a Reply, go to the bottom of the page and you will see a tab "Upload Attachemt".