Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#90629 by ehamburg
Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:26 pm
I frequently travel and when I return to my home office where my Telo is located the devices that I travel with (laptop, iPad) and devices that I have turned off (e.g, iMac) during my trip do not have internet access. Devices left at home (e.g., my wife's laptop) continue to have uninterrupted internet access. To regain access to my devices I have now made a habit of power cycling the Telo when I return from a trip as this restores internet access to the devices I travel with or had turned off during my trip. I believe that what may be happening is that the devices that lose internet connectivity no longer have valid DHCP addresses and that power cycling is refreshing the DCHP address for those devices. (I am not a real networking pro so I could be all wet about this.) In any case I cannot find a config setting in setup.ooma.com that specifies the length of the DHCP lease.

Configuration is Cable Modem -> Telo -> Apple Time Capsule (which is set up in Bridge mode to allow Telo to issue DCHP addresses) -> iMac ethernet cable to Time Capsule + various laptops, iPad, etc using WiFi access.

I don't want to change the order that these devices are connected in as the configuration works just fine (I'm satisfied with VoIP performance) except for this issue. I called Ooma support and "to troubleshoot" they wanted me to mess with the order the devices are connected in but as I understand it my set up is the recommended one for best VoIP performance.

Is anyone familiar with this issue and have a solution for me if my analysis of this issue is correct or what the right solution to this issue is?

Thanks
#90634 by tommies
Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:46 pm
ehamburg wrote:Configuration is Cable Modem -> Telo -> Apple Time Capsule (which is set up in Bridge mode to allow Telo to issue DCHP addresses) -> iMac ethernet cable to Time Capsule + various laptops, iPad, etc using WiFi access.

I don't want to change the order that these devices are connected in as the configuration works just fine (I'm satisfied with VoIP performance) except for this issue.

Thanks

You can try to restore the Apple Time Capsule to its full router function (DHCP et al). Maybe it complains about double NAT, but it's ok to ignore (double NAT)

The Telo first and foremost a voip device, and obviously, the is an issue with its DHCP service. I don't think ooma have the resources to fix it right now (in the time frame of 2-3 yrs.)

This is the reason I prefer to place the telo behind the router (i.e. modem > router > [pc's + telo]).
#90635 by ehamburg
Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:59 pm
@tommies, thanks for the reply. I think I'll leave things as they are as doing the power cycle thing is not that big a deal and as I say, other than this issue. things work fine as is. At least I understand the "why" of what is happening. Thanks again.
#90673 by thunderbird
Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:19 am
ehamburg wrote:I frequently travel and when I return to my home office where my Telo is located the devices that I travel with (laptop, iPad) and devices that I have turned off (e.g, iMac) during my trip do not have internet access. Devices left at home (e.g., my wife's laptop) continue to have uninterrupted internet access. To regain access to my devices I have now made a habit of power cycling the Telo when I return from a trip as this restores internet access to the devices I travel with or had turned off during my trip. I believe that what may be happening is that the devices that lose internet connectivity no longer have valid DHCP addresses and that power cycling is refreshing the DCHP address for those devices. (I am not a real networking pro so I could be all wet about this.) In any case I cannot find a config setting in setup.ooma.com that specifies the length of the DHCP lease.

Configuration is Cable Modem -> Telo -> Apple Time Capsule (which is set up in Bridge mode to allow Telo to issue DCHP addresses) -> iMac ethernet cable to Time Capsule + various laptops, iPad, etc using WiFi access.

I don't want to change the order that these devices are connected in as the configuration works just fine (I'm satisfied with VoIP performance) except for this issue. I called Ooma support and "to troubleshoot" they wanted me to mess with the order the devices are connected in but as I understand it my set up is the recommended one for best VoIP performance.

Is anyone familiar with this issue and have a solution for me if my analysis of this issue is correct or what the right solution to this issue is?

Thanks

I would take the Apple Time Capsule out of Bridge Mode and return it to DHCP mode.

Then I would access Ooma Setup by typing http://172.27.35.1 in the computer browser window. click on the Home Network tab.
Set DHCP Configuration:
Start Address: to 172.27.35.10
and
End Address: also to 172.27.35.10
Click on Update.

Reboot the Ooma Telo and the Apple Time Capsule.

If the amber light is still flashing, click on the ignore option to prevent the flashing amber light.
If you want to do this, open the Utility, click Manual Setup, and then click on the word "Status" on the summary page. Click "ignore" regarding the Double NAT.
#90707 by ehamburg
Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:21 pm
@thunderbird

I've followed your configuration advice and my config is functional, with access devices getting IP addresses in the 10.x.x.x range from the Time Capsule. This allows me to keep the modem -> Telo -> Time Capsule in the same connected order and hopefully will resolve the issue. We'll see next time I return from a trip.

Thanks
#90709 by thunderbird
Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:46 pm
ehamburg wrote:@thunderbird

I've followed your configuration advice and my config is functional, with access devices getting IP addresses in the 10.x.x.x range from the Time Capsule. This allows me to keep the modem -> Telo -> Time Capsule in the same connected order and hopefully will resolve the issue. We'll see next time I return from a trip.

Thanks

After the changes and reboots, did the Apple Time Capsule complain about a double NAT?
#90710 by ehamburg
Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:49 pm
@thunderbird - Yes the TC warns of Double NAT but have suppressed the warning with the ignore checkbox.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests