Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#90562 by djhurlburt91
Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:24 am
I'm a novice technical guy. Not well versed with terms like DMZ. I have Ooma installed. Cable Modem->Ooma->Netgear Wireless Router -> other devices.

I wanted to access my home computer outside of the house.

I decided to use Apache Server. I followed the instructions, downloaded the server software, set it up and think I have it set up correctly. I can type in "localhost" into my browser and it prompts me for a login/password - which when I type that in, can see a directory listing of the directory I want to have access to.

I also wanted to create a name. I logged onto DynDNS.com and created a name. It also showed me what my IP is.

When I type in this new name (let's call it fred.net), I get some Ooma Telo Setup page. It does the same thing if I type in my ip address in the address bar. (I'm assuming experienced people are saying "duhhhh!" here).

What steps do I need to take to allow me to put in my fred.net into any browser and be able to see the directory that i want on my home computer?

I read a few threads on here, but people referred to a "hub" and I wasn't sure if that was the Telo box (aka Ooma) or the Router. Both seem like a hub to me.

Thanks in advance!

DaveH
#90564 by murphy
Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:16 pm
Put the Telo behind your router.
i.e Modem--router--Telo
.....................|--computer
That is connect the Telo's Internet port to a LAN port of your router and leave the Home port unused.
Configure port forwarding in your router to route the port for your server to the computer that it is running on.
#90587 by rmeden
Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:24 pm
On setup.ooma.com put the IP address of the Netgear router as the DMZ. (you can get it from the Netgear as the "WAN" address)

Now you can proceed as non-Ooma folks do. Configure the Netgear to forward port 80 to the home server IP.

Robert