Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#7509 by c_koby
Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:14 am
I should have known there was going to be trouble when OOMA sent me an email stating that the port of my landline was going to be on April 12, which was Easter Sunday. Nothing happened on Sunday, which I expected.

On Monday, my landline went out. I never contacted my landline carrier about the port, so I assumed all was going well. Then I read about the outage. I called OOMA monday night, and they said the port would take place Tuesday morning. When nothing happened Tuesday morning, I called again. The woman said that they test their links at 5:00 pacific time, so when nothing happened at 5:00, I called again. The woman said that there was a problem, and there was a possibility that I would loose my landline number. When I asked to speak with someone in the porting department, the women said that they leave at 5:00.

After much ranting on my part, the woman transferred me to her supervisor, who reported that they tried to port but there was a problem. She also assured me that I would not loose my landline number.
She said that the problem would probably resolved early today, and I should check back at noon today. At noon, I called to find out that the problem was not resolved, and that the porting techs were in a meeting and could not talk to me.

This is ridiculous. I'm tired of having to call them to be told nothing. If there are problems, OOMA should contact me immediately to let me know that there is a problem and that they are working on it. If I know whats going on, I can deal with it. If I don't know whats going on and am kept in the dark, I become extremely upset.

As of right now, I the only thing I know is that the OOMA techs are having a nice lunch meeting. I hope they enjoy it. I'm sitting here wondering what the hell is going on. I don't know if the port will ever work, and if it does not, what has become of the landline number. Does it still exist?

I certainly cannot recommend OOMA based on my experiences to date!
#7520 by southsound
Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:39 am
First, let me tell you that I understand your pain and concern. I spent a lot of time waiting for ooma to take care of an echo problem I was having. It is never fun when things go awry. But ooma took care of my problem in a stellar manner. They convened many tech meetings and as a result of testing and talking, they implemented a lot of infrastructure routing changes that improved call quality for many Washington ooma users.

I can assure you that if the techs are having a lunch meeting it is not to increase their enjoyment of the lunch hour. It is to solve some of the problems they have been having and to improve the customer experience. As a Microsoft retiree, I can tell you that we had many lunch meetings that were anything but leisurely or casual. We brainstormed, made commitments, and resolved issues.

Give ooma a chance to make you happy. I can speak from experience that the ooma team is really working towards that end. I hope your port goes quickly and you can join the thousands of ooma users who have left their phone bills behind and are now having a great ooma experience.
#7525 by c_koby
Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:48 am
I hope you are right. Its like going to a restaurant and not getting your food in a timely manner. If the server ignores you, you get mad. If the server comes and tells you about the problems in the kitchen, you may not like it, but at least you know what the problem is and can deal with it.

OOMA has kept me completely in the dark. Its like pulling nails to get any info out of them. They ought to be proactive and send me an email or something to let me know there is a problem and that they are working on it. All I want is information.
#7567 by c_koby
Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:22 pm
My port finally went through. OOMA could have saved me a lot of aggravation and themselves a lot of valuable telephone support time if they had simply sent me some emails letting me know what is going on. Like I said above, all I wanted was to be kept informed. I'm sure that is what most others want when there is a problem.
#7570 by southsound
Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:31 pm
Great news! Glad that your port completed today. One less thing to worry about and if you are like most of us, your ooma experience from here on out will be a good one.
#7571 by bryanlyle
Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:42 pm
I faxed over my port request on 4/1. I decided to call today to check on it and they never "received" it. Just faxed it again.
#7573 by frenchcamp49er
Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:52 pm
Mine was supposed to happen yesterday, still waiting, and yes landline is dead. This is causing a HUGH headache for me.
#7574 by c_koby
Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:11 pm
Believe me, I feel your pain. I am happy now that the port finally went through, but I would have felt better during the process if they had kept me informed.
#7621 by buzzman
Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:58 pm
c_koby wrote:My port finally went through. OOMA could have saved me a lot of aggravation and themselves a lot of valuable telephone support time if they had simply sent me some emails letting me know what is going on. Like I said above, all I wanted was to be kept informed. I'm sure that is what most others want when there is a problem.

Care to tell us what the problem was? BTW, who was landline carrier? I, myself, am in process of porting, so I'm a bit antsy since I haven't heard anything from Ooma for 10+ days.
#7638 by murphy
Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:55 am
My port took a little over 3 weeks. I sent my data via email (I didn't use fax). I received an email 7 days later acknowledging receipt of my LOA forms. I was not notified when the port would complete. I received an email the evening of the port completion telling me that it was complete and that my Lounge log in had changed to my ported number. The day of the port, callers to my ported number were told that my number was no longer in service. That lasted about 6 hours. The port was from a Vonage secondary number. I had ported the number to Vonage from Verizon several years earlier. The porting notes on my Vonage account basically said that they had cancelled the port from Verizon. This leads me to believe that porting involves sending the number back to the company that originally issued the number before it can be ported to the new provider. If that is true, it could explain some of the long delays that have been reported.