Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#90439 by dml247
Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:28 pm
Here's my setup:
Cable Modem->Ooma->Apple Wireless Extreme Router

What I want to do is setup a minecraft server on my network assessable from the internet. What I don't want though are people on my internal network. I'd like to have them on a separate, walled off network. Is that the idea of the DMZ? I see that is available on the Ooma Home Network Settings. If that is where I set it up, do I just specify an IP address which is then the IP address that I manually setup on the minecraft server? Is it possible to setup another router with the DMZ address and then I can have multiple machines behind that router serving mindcraft, and other games, etc.?
#90458 by thunderbird
Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:45 am
dml247 wrote:Here's my setup:
Cable Modem->Ooma->Apple Wireless Extreme Router

What I want to do is setup a minecraft server on my network assessable from the internet. What I don't want though are people on my internal network. I'd like to have them on a separate, walled off network. Is that the idea of the DMZ? I see that is available on the Ooma Home Network Settings. If that is where I set it up, do I just specify an IP address which is then the IP address that I manually setup on the minecraft server? Is it possible to setup another router with the DMZ address and then I can have multiple machines behind that router serving mindcraft, and other games, etc.?

The Idea of a DMZ is to fully expose a device's IP address to the WAN/Internet, which may decrease security. Trying to use the Ooma DMZ probably has no benefit.

You can search the Internet and find several ways to setup your server.

One way to set it up is: http://www.boutell.com/newfaq/creating/dmz.html

Cable Modem-Second Alternate Router-Apple Wireless Extreme Router-Ooma. (With this setup nothing is connected to the Ooma Home port, except temporarily a computer's wired LAN port, connected with a network cable, to access Ooma Setup, if required). (An option is that the Ooma device could safely also be connected to one of the Second Alternate Router's LAN ports, and probably would function better). (Nothing else is connected to the LAN side of the Second Alternate Router, except the Minecraft Server).

Then connect the Minecraft Server to one of the Second Alternate Router LAN ports. Assign a permanent IP address with a permanent lease, for the Mincraft Server, in the Second Alternate Router. Place the Mincraft Server's IP address in the Second Alternate Router's DMZ, if it needs to be fully exposed to the Internet.

Connect all of your other equipment to the LAN ports of your Apple Wireless Extreme Router, through wireless or the LAN ports, even if you have to purchase a Switch. A Switch acts as a Router port multiplier. I have two eight port swathes in my home's LAN.

In a setup like this, it is a good idea to assign Static IP addresses for each connected device.

You May have to open port(s) or port forward, in the Apple Wireless Extreme Router if you want to access the Mincraft Server from a computer connected to the Apple Wireless Extreme Router LAN?

Your Mincraft Serve documentation will probably have more suggestions for this and different connections. Also go to the Internet and search for DMZ and secure Server setups, and study each situation for pros and cons.