Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#90008 by bilbro
Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:35 pm
Can someone confirm whether 911 calls show up in the outgoing call log?
#90022 by thunderbird
Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:15 am
bilbro wrote:Can someone confirm whether 911 calls show up in the outgoing call log?

To confirm this, call your 911 provider, like the police or fire station, using a non-911 phone number. Ask and tell them that you would like to perform a 911 test of your new VoIP Ooma phone service. Usually they are very happy to help in any part of the country. Then after calling 911, check your Ooma call log.
#90047 by joe123
Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:16 pm
thunderbird wrote:To confirm this, call your 911 provider, like the police or fire station, using a non-911 phone number.

Is there a way of dialling 911 without it being an emergency to test and make sure that dialling 911 works? Other than as you explained calling the local police or fire department.

I mean, can one call 911 and state that this is NOT an emergency and that you are testing the service and if the address shows up correctly?

This is one of those things I don't want to learn in a real emergency that dialing 911 may not work.
#90048 by Hollywood
Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:31 pm
joe123 wrote:I mean, can one call 911 and state that this is NOT an emergency and that you are testing the service and if the address shows up correctly?

This is one of those things I don't want to learn in a real emergency that dialing 911 may not work.

I called the non-emergency number of my local police department and asked them if they had my 911 info, but they said they didn't on their line and suggested I actually call 911 and say this is just a test to verify my address. I asked if they would complain and they say it wouldn't be a problem. I called, they understood my request and yes, 911 did have my correct address.

If the non-emergency number says it is ok to test 911, you could always get the name of that person that said it is ok in case they do say anything. As long as you don't interrupt an emergency call, I think they will be cool.
#90050 by thunderbird
Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:58 pm
Yes, the whole point of the 911 exercise is to, after calling the non-911 number to coordinate and tell the police or fire department people what you want to do, and for you to learn the proper procedure for this test in the local area where you live, is to actually call 911, and have the actual 911 people verify that your My Ooma emergency contact information is correct, and then verify that the 911 call also recorded in your My Ooma call logs.
#90054 by murphy
Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:57 am
Your local police department may not be the one that handles your 911 service. The 911 service where I live is handled by the county 911 operations center. Once they get your data they then forward the call to the correct police department. If your service is configured this way you should call the non-emergency number for the 911 operations center. If they aren't busy they will usually permit the call immediately. If they are busy they will tell you to wait for a non-busy time. If they are extremely busy the non-emergency line will probably go to voicemail.