Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#89995 by WJBertrand
Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:24 pm
New problem. My wife has had her calls cut off and transfered to voice mail abruptly several times. This has only happened recently. Today when it happened the phone appeared to go dead (no dial tone). I unplugged the cordless phone base power cord on the phone she was using for 10 seconds and plugged it back in but there was still no dial tone. When I checked another standard wired phone there was no dial tone there either (I have the Telo connected for the whole house). I noticed just then that the Ooma "flower" on my Telo was red and blinking rapidly. A few seconds later it turned blue again and the dial tone returned. Why is it doing this only now after 3+ months service and what is the fix?
#89996 by thunderbird
Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:55 pm
WJBertrand wrote:New problem. My wife has had her calls cut off and transfered to voice mail abruptly several times. This has only happened recently. Today when it happened the phone appeared to go dead (no dial tone). I unplugged the cordless phone base power cord on the phone she was using for 10 seconds and plugged it back in but there was still no dial tone. When I checked another standard wired phone there was no dial tone there either (I have the Telo connected for the whole house). I noticed just then that the Ooma "flower" on my Telo was red and blinking rapidly. A few seconds later it turned blue again and the dial tone returned. Why is it doing this only now after 3+ months service and what is the fix?

When the Ooma Telo Ooma symbol flashes red, it means that it has lost the Internet signal.

Some things to try.
First:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem and the Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem, your Router and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Router. When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device.

Second:
If the previous suggestion didn't help do the following:
Temporarily connect your home setup Modem-Router-Ooma. Than if the phone goes dead, you can access a computer and see if it goes dead also. If the computer goes dead also (can't surf the web), there is a problem getting the Internet signal through your Modem or from the Internet provider.

Some times when a different device is connected to the Modem, the Modem becomes "confused" and sometimes self disconnects. Usually all that has to be done is a factory reset of the Modem, reference the Modem Owner's manual.

Note: Some Modems contain a battery that must be temporarily removed for successful Modem Reset.

If the Modem factory reset doen't help, either the Modem is defective or or you will have to contact your Internet provider and tell that your Internet connection is stalling or quiting for short periods of time.

If the phone goes dead, but you can still surf the Internet, than do a Factory Reset of the Ooma Telo.

Ooma Telo Factory Reset:
Dial *#*#099 on the phone attached to Telo to issue a factory reset.
A recording will come on the line and ask if you really want to do a factory reset. Press 1 for yes, and press 2 or hang up for no. After pressing 1, you will hear a busy signal. After hanging up, the number 1 light stays lit yellow on the face of the Ooma Telo. After a short period of time, only the number 1 & 2 lights remain lit blue. Then after more time, the Ooma Telo goes into the boot sequence, and comes back on line. If you are using an Ooma Wi-Fi dongle, you have to access Ooma Setup and rescan for the Wi-Fi network before a Wi-Fi connection can be made. The same is true for DSL, if you have to enter Connection type PPoE and a Name and Password for the Internet provider connection. You will have to reset MAC address to Use Built In, reset your Quality of Service Upstream/Downstream Internet Speed settings, and Bluetooth settings if you are using Ooma’s USB Bluetooth dongle. You may have to re-register the Ooma Telo handsets, see procedure later in text.

Note: Sometimes the *#*#099 command has to be issued three or four times, before the factory reset sequence starts and is completed.