Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#89914 by wxforecaster
Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:34 am
Installed my Ooma Telo yesterday and could not be happier with the ease of setup! One exception, I can no longer connect to several remote FTP servers from any of my computers. One of the them uses an Active connection and receives an error of

Command: PORT 192,168,1,138,232,167
Response: 500 Illegal PORT command

The other PASSIVE connection simply times out. If I restore my modem/router configuration to pre-Ooma it works fine.

I have a cable modem which connects into the Internet port on the Telo and then the Home Network port connects to the WAN port on my router. I wish to keep my configuration that way.

I do have access to the Ooma Setup interface as well as my router interface (DD-WRT). My knowledge beyond the automated setup for both is lacking.

Can someone please provide me a step-by-step set of instructions to allow my FTP access to work? I've read up on port forwarding, but I'm still not sure what numbers go where and how DHCP plays into this (if at all).

Thanks in advance,
Evan
#89915 by lbmofo
Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:54 am
Welcome to the forum Evan.

If you want a quick way out, connect your Ooma to the router. Then, done. You can do the following for optimal setup: viewtopic.php?t=12403

If you still want Ooma before the router, you can do the optimal setup for it: viewtopic.php?t=9536#p66155

Then look into port forwarding for different services when Ooma is before the router: viewtopic.php?t=12355#p86662
#89917 by wxforecaster
Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:11 am
The Ooma has to remain behind my router. I do not have any LAN ports free.
My Ooma is already optimized and has great voice quality.

I am still confused on the port forwarding to get FTP access. That URL link you gave does not provide any detailed information.
#89922 by thunderbird
Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:43 am
wxforecaster wrote:The Ooma has to remain behind my router. I do not have any LAN ports free.

I am still confused on the port forwarding to get FTP access. That URL link you gave does not provide any detailed information.

Access Ooma Setup by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages opens. Click on the Home Network tab. Go to DHCP Configuration: and change the End Address: to 172.27.35.10 . (Both the Start and End IP address will be the same, 172.27.35.10 ). Go to DMZ:
and enter 172.27.35.10 in the blanks. Click on Update. At this point you will probably loose your Router and computer Internet connection. Remove power from the Ooma Telo, your Router and your Computer. Repower your Ooma Telo. When the Ooma Telo is done booting, repower the Router. When the router is done booting repower you computer. Test.

The second option that you have is to add a Switch connected to one of your Router LAN ports and connect the Ooma Telo to one of the Router or Switch ports. The switch acts a Router port multiplier. I have two eight port switches in my Home LAN.
#89936 by tommies
Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:33 pm
wxforecaster wrote:The Ooma has to remain behind my router. I do not have any LAN ports free.

The port forwarding is for the world to access your ftp/web servers inside your LAN. It will have no effect on you trying to access the ftp servers in the net.

I have my telo connected to my router (ie modem > router > [pc's + telo],) and I'm encourage others to do the same. Telo first and foremost is a voip device, and it's not designed to be a full features router.

I guess I can see the reasoning ooma made when decide to give the telo more than the minimum functionalities so people (i.e. the mass) can use the telo without to buy a router (nor computers.) Seriously, how many people who have ooma but don't have a router? I do know one in this forum do so, but on business decision, is it wise?

No doubt, there is people that connects their pc/laptop directly to the modem. Whether or not it's by choice or ignorant is not the point. The point is when telo's introduced, it changes the setup. Now, their is a more than a bare minimum but not full features router playing havoc with the connection, especially when a new firmware is being pushed.

IMO, the telo should do the bare minimum, i.e. just make it a bridge/DMZ (free traffic on both direction) and quietly give the voip traffic a higher priority to guarantee a better voice quality on the phone.

This way--regardless where telo is placed--people who does not have a router will continue without a router, and people with their router setup so they can access their server(s) inside their LAN from the outside will have their service(s) unaltered. I'm expected this will be increased in the near future. Do you see the tv ad for arm/disarm home alarm system with smartphone? Viewing the house's security cameras with the smartphone?

Please, ooma get the telo out of the way, and save ooma users lot of headache. Moreover, ooma can focus their limited resource to a more pressing problem, like allowing call from ooma to ooma can be forwarded.

thunderbird wrote:Access Ooma Setup by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages opens. Click on the Home Network tab. Go to DHCP Configuration: and change the End Address: to 172.27.35.10 . (Both the Start and End IP address will be the same). Go to DMZ:
and enter 172.27.35.10 in the blanks. Click on Update. At this point you will probably loose your computer connection. Remove power from the Ooma Telo, your Router and your Computer. Repower your Ooma Telo. When the Ooma Telo is done booting, repower the Router. When the router is done booting repower you computer. Test.

This is the easy way out. However, I read--last year--that the DMZ was disable due to 'security issue.' I don't know if this had been resolved. If this does not work for you, you still have the next option.
The second option that you have is to add a Switch connected to one of your Router LAN ports and connect the Ooma Telo to one of the Router or Switch ports. The switch acts a Router port multiplier. I have two eight port switches in my Home LAN.

PS
some reading to see that allowing ftp traffic from local network going out is not as simple as I can see
ftp-proxy at openbsd.com
#89943 by wxforecaster
Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:57 am
Yeh, unfortunately option #1 didn't work. Oh well, I sacrificed one of the LAN lines for now and it works just fine the other way. I didn't touch any of this QoS stuff as our cable company gives us 20 Mbps down and 1.5 Mbps up and the call quality was perfect.

Evan
#89946 by thunderbird
Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:37 am
wxforecaster wrote:Yeh, unfortunately option #1 didn't work. Oh well, I sacrificed one of the LAN lines for now and it works just fine the other way. I didn't touch any of this QoS stuff as our cable company gives us 20 Mbps down and 1.5 Mbps up and the call quality was perfect.

Evan

There are just a few people that can use the Ooma Telo DMZ or port forward, but I haven't heard of many successes. Ooma has shut down some, but not all ports. Maybe some poeple use the Port Forward and rediret to another port feature located on the Ooma Setup Advanced page??? I believe port 80 is open through out?

I have had my Ooma Telo connected to one of my Router ports from day one and it works just fine. So purchasing and using a Switch will probably work out best in the long run.