Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#7352 by darlinsk
Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:07 am
I currently have Ooma, not integrated with a landline, along with two land lines. (One is in the process of being ported to Ooma; the other is a basic line for my alarm system) I mistakenly plugged the Ooma hub into Line 1 and the Scout into Line 2 ... and lo and behold ... the scout still had a blue light and worked correctly.

Since discovering this, I have tested and confirmed that the hub and scout seem to communicate when connected to different phone lines (via a splitter)! How can this be? I am utterly confused.
#7374 by jmassimilla
Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:55 am
Are you referring to the WALL jacks on the hub and scout? If so, they could be communicating via crosstalk if it's older phone wiring.
#7433 by darlinsk
Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:24 am
It is indeed old wiring. I live in a 100 year old house.

I used an L1/L2/L1+2 splitter for each wall jack. I plugged the Hub's "Wall" cable into the wall's L2 jack and the the Scout's "Wall" cable into wall's L1 jack. I also confirmed that each of those lines, were indeed, different numbers (i.e., called my cell phone and confirmed the Caller ID number).

I'm not sure what "wired backwards" means, but I do think there could be cross talk. However, if there were, wouldn't that affect the quality of the standard voice lines? It doesn't appear to. They're both fine.
#7443 by jmassimilla
Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:48 am
Not necessarily. I had a very similar situation to yours. I have 2 hubs. I had 1 hub plugged into line 1, the other into line2(WALL jacks). Line 1 was a landline, not associated with ooma, line 2 was a dead line. I had a scout connected to line 1 in another location to communicate with hub 1. Another scout was connected to line 2 in another location to communicate with hub 2. Neither scout would work. The landline worked fine. If I disconnected either hub, the other hub/scout combo would work. I replaced the old line with Cat5 cable and properly dressed the leads in the box and the problem was solved. So, it definitely had to be crosstalk. The 2 hubs were interfering with each other.
darlinsk wrote:It is indeed old wiring. I live in a 100 year old house.

I used an L1/L2/L1+2 splitter for each wall jack. I plugged the Hub's "Wall" cable into the wall's L2 jack and the the Scout's "Wall" cable into wall's L1 jack. I also confirmed that each of those lines, were indeed, different numbers (i.e., called my cell phone and confirmed the Caller ID number).

I'm not sure what "wired backwards" means, but I do think there could be cross talk. However, if there were, wouldn't that affect the quality of the standard voice lines? It doesn't appear to. They're both fine.
#7468 by darlinsk
Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:29 am
Yup; I do get the Ooma dial tone regardless of whether it's plugged into L1 or L2. But as I said, it is old wiring. I ran CAT5 into my office, but most of the other runs are the old 4-wire copper.

As an additional test, I plugged the hub and scout into two separate CAT5 jacks in my office with the same result. I assume that crosstalk anywhere in the system would cause that to happen. I guess it's not causing a problem, and one of the lines is on its way out anyhow. It was really just more perplexing that anything.

I've seen people post pictures of beautifully tidy punch down boxes ... Not my life. I live in an old house, where nothing's ever square, and some of the lights are still on knob and tube wiring. There are even remnants of the old gas lights in the walls.

Thanks for the responses.