Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#89572 by lc96
Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:47 am
I've had 3 calls in the past 16 hours from the robot that wants me to lock in with lower interest rates. When you are able to get through to a live human, I asked "what is the name of your company?" as I should not be receiving any calls like this due to "Do not call" list. She said "cardmember services" and hangs up on me immediately. I have already enabled block community black lists and block anonymous calls, but they call from a different phone number each time. What can we do about these beyond annoying calls???
#89573 by lbmofo
Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:04 am
Currently, blacklist will not take a wildcard entry. Hence the only way is to blacklist as they call from different numbers. The good news is that these guys only have 2 or 3 numbers they call from. The worst case I've seen would be 6 (March of Dimes and ADA).
#89598 by southsound
Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:00 pm
lc96 wrote:I've had 3 calls in the past 16 hours from the robot that wants me to lock in with lower interest rates. When you are able to get through to a live human, I asked "what is the name of your company?" as I should not be receiving any calls like this due to "Do not call" list. She said "cardmember services" and hangs up on me immediately. I have already enabled block community black lists and block anonymous calls, but they call from a different phone number each time. What can we do about these beyond annoying calls???

If I had the technology, I would build a box that would remotely vaporize the equipment that makes these calls and would place some kind of temporary pox on the persons responsible. Just to make them repent of their terrible behavior. I get these calls almost every other day on my landline. So far, I have not made it onto their radar screen with my other numbers. I have had all my numbers on the DNC list for years, but these folks feel they are above all that.

Until last week, I was also getting robo calls from a collection agency for an ex-wife that I had not seen in nearly 35 years. Didn't matter what I did - they just kept calling. I finally Googled her name and found out that she was deceased as of December 2010. I called the collection agency and offered to send them a copy of the funeral home information but they said not to bother. Best of all, the calls for her have stopped. I guess the hereafter isn't on their dialing plan.
#89622 by joe123
Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:48 pm
lbmofo wrote:Currently, blacklist will not take a wildcard entry.

Ooma has to get on the ball and make Wildcard Blacklists, like block all 800-xxx-xxxx numbers.

It should be easy to do, but I suspect that the big phone companys take legal actions against any company trying to block their "customers". :x

I am using PhoneTray http://www.phonetray.com and I can block using wild cards like block all 888-xxx-xxxx numbers, or whatever combination I want. The only draw back is that my PC has to stay running 24/7. I have a server which is always up, so I use phoneTray on that server but it would be nice for Ooma to have this option.
#89714 by rmeden
Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:59 am
Their latest call said it was my "*LAST* courtesy call"!!!

Could it be true, will they leave me alone????

(I suspect not)
:)
#89716 by lbmofo
Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:05 am
rmeden wrote:Their latest call said it was my "*LAST* courtesy call"!!!

Could it be true, will they leave me alone????

(I suspect not)
:)

Yeah, probably not.

I have these guys calling me on daily basis & leaving a message.

(804) 217-7156 CPTL ONE
(813) 274-1837 CAPITAL ONE

Don't think they are Capital One, they are scammers I think. Changed the blacklist treatment to "disconnected msg" for about a week, changed it to "send to voicemail" and voilà, a message left again...."Hi...this is Linda, we have an important..." These guys are sick.
#89717 by lc96
Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:07 am
Mine were not capitol one, we don't even have any credit cards with balances.

These weren't 800 numbers, they were:

305 304.9999
407 660.9999

if you want to block them!
#89720 by lbmofo
Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:12 am
lc96 wrote:Mine were not capitol one, we don't even have any credit cards with balances.

These weren't 800 numbers, they were:

305 304.9999
407 660.9999

if you want to block them!

Thanks. Just added. I have similar numbers in my blacklist; probably the same outfit.

321-304-9999
407-434-9999