Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#89523 by gacolen
Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:38 am
I have two problems which have not gone away, since I first setup my new configuration (modem-router-telo1+telo2)

1) Ooma Phones that apparently are just too far away (40 feet or further; which is the case for 3 of my 4 ooma phones) will periodically go into "Searching" mode. I've already tried several times to re-set/setup the Ooma phones, but the "Searching" problem recurs. The easy workaround is to remove the cover of the offending phone, disconnect and reconnect the battery, which fixes the problem every time. I'm concerned that I'm going to rip the wires from the battery - IS THERE AN EASIER WAY TO DO A RESET WITHOUT DISCONNECTING THE BATTERY?

2) How do I reduce the lag/delay? Are there parameters that I can easily tune to improve the performance?

Thanks,
Greg Colen
732-591-7234
#89539 by thunderbird
Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:52 pm
gacolen wrote:I have two problems which have not gone away, since I first setup my new configuration (modem-router-telo1+telo2)

1) Ooma Phones that apparently are just too far away (40 feet or further; which is the case for 3 of my 4 ooma phones) will periodically go into "Searching" mode. I've already tried several times to re-set/setup the Ooma phones, but the "Searching" problem recurs. The easy workaround is to remove the cover of the offending phone, disconnect and reconnect the battery, which fixes the problem every time. I'm concerned that I'm going to rip the wires from the battery - IS THERE AN EASIER WAY TO DO A RESET WITHOUT DISCONNECTING THE BATTERY?

2) How do I reduce the lag/delay? Are there parameters that I can easily tune to improve the performance?

Thanks,
Greg Colen
732-591-7234

To reset the Ooma hand set.
1. Turn off the HS by press & hold the End/Red button
2. Press & hold the two keys: Left soft key and '0' (zero) key
3. Turn on the HS by press the End/Red key
4. Let go the keys in step 2.
The HS will goes into auto registration mode, so you may have to re-register the handset to the Ooma Telo.

Note: To all those users with the handset stuck in SEARCHING

When pressing the left soft key + the 0....YOU MUST HOLD DOWN THOSE KEYS while turning handset back on....
THEN and ONLY THEN will the handset enter the registration mode, which allows you to input the four digit code.

If this doesn’t work, call customer service and report problem.

Next:
"How do I reduce the lag/delay? " Are you asking about voice delay, or delay after the phone is dialed?
Do you hear echo and/or the when both people on the phone are talking, does it cut out one or both sides of the conversation?
#89548 by murphy
Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:35 pm
gacolen wrote:I have two problems which have not gone away, since I first setup my new configuration (modem-router-telo1+telo2)

Thanks,
Greg Colen
732-591-7234

How far apart are the Telos?
If they are sitting beside each other they will block each others receivers.
#89576 by gacolen
Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:37 am
thunderbird wrote:
gacolen wrote:
How do I reduce the lag/delay? Are there parameters that I can easily tune to improve the performance?

Thanks,
Greg Colen
732-591-7234

Next:
"How do I reduce the lag/delay? " Are you asking about voice delay, or delay after the phone is dialed?
Do you hear echo and/or the when both people on the phone are talking, does it cut out one or both sides of the conversation?

There is voice delay, and sometimes I hear echo of my voice. But mostly there is no echo.

It does not cut out either side of the conversation.
#89583 by thunderbird
Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:44 pm
gacolen wrote:There is voice delay, and sometimes I hear echo of my voice. But mostly there is no echo.

It does not cut out either side of the conversation.

Half-Duplex conversations are when one person talks, while the other person has to wait. Full-Duplex conversations are when both parties can talk at the same time. Half-Duplex conversations sound like delay, but isn't. Half-Duplex conversations can usually be corrected on the Home LAN side, usually by rebooting or doing a reset of the Modem, Reference the Modem Owners manual for the procedure. Note: some modems contain a battery that must be temporarily removed during the reset procedure, for the reset procedure to work.

Lag/Delay is a problem on the Ooma side and must be corrected by Ooma. For this problem you have to contact Ooma Customer Support to have them make corrections. Caution: Sometimes it's like "pulling teeth" to get the job done.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
#89690 by browwi
Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:52 pm
thunderbird wrote:

Thanks,
Greg Colen
732-591-7234

To reset the Ooma hand set.
1. Turn off the HS by press & hold the End/Red button
2. Press & hold the two keys: Left soft key and '0' (zero) key
3. Turn on the HS by press the End/Red key
4. Let go the keys in step 2.
The HS will goes into auto registration mode, so you may have to re-register the handset to the Ooma Telo.

Note: To all those users with the handset stuck in SEARCHING

When pressing the left soft key + the 0....YOU MUST HOLD DOWN THOSE KEYS while turning handset back on....
THEN and ONLY THEN will the handset enter the registration mode, which allows you to input the four digit code.

If this doesn’t work, call customer service and report problem.

Next:

Why is this complex resetting operation any better than disconnecting the battery?
#89691 by lbmofo
Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:56 pm
The hope is that the reset and re-register would prevent "searching" from happening again.
#91561 by SeanOmeara
Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:38 pm
I have found the key to getting this to work after many many attempts. Do everything as it says but when turning the handset back on, be sure to just tap the red power button instead of holding it for a second. Hold the other 2 buttons but just tap the power button. It worked for me.