Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!

Q

#89522 by msweiger
Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:31 am
Can the Ooma Telo be powered by USB port? If it could, I could get a small lithium USB battery to run the thing during a power outage. Otherwise it seems I would need a large brick like UPS. Any elegant solutions for keeping the thing going in a power outage? Thanks!
#89528 by lbmofo
Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:27 pm
USB port can't power Ooma. Need to have UPS as solution.
#89541 by southsound
Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:54 pm
I have all my network gear, including an ooma Hub and a Telo on an APC UPS. It protects me against power surges and allows my home network to remain up when we experience a power failure. However, our wonderful telco utility, CenturyLink, does NOT supply backup power to the DSL RTE (remote terminal equipment) that supplies our Internet connectivity. So during a power failure, even with the UPS, my ooma devices are dead. I have rather poor cell service on our island so I keep a basic landline for emergencies. CenturyLink DOE supply backup power to the cabinet that handles our phone lines.

You might want to check with your Internet provider to see what happens in the event of a power failure.
#89547 by tommies
Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:31 pm
The Fed requires all telco that provides POTS has to test their equipments and guarantee their service will not be interrupted in case of natural disaters(hurricane, earthquake, etc.) or power outaged.

In all circumstances, the POTS dial tone will be the last one to go down, if at all.

I don't know if those voip provider has the same requirements. I guess not, since it's depended on the internet, which is not fall under the the requirements.