Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#88675 by jtfc
Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:37 pm
My Ooma has been working great for about 2 years, we hardly use it but it's just a backup line in the house, I don't think I have even use 200 minutes on the thing.

Couple of weeks ago it stopped working, only the 1 2 on the top light up in blue.

I thought it just need to reset, done that a few times, nothing.

Finally have time to read the troubleshooting section of Ooma's web site, nothing work, then I call the 800 support, someone ask me to unplug it for 2 minutes, when I plug it back, (I have already done that 10 times), so same problem, only 1 2 light up in blue. The support person told me the unit is dead as it's not even rebooting, I have to go buy a new Ooma.

I am not really happy about this, and there is no way I will spend another $200 for another unit.

Anyone has any idea what else I can do? Or anywhere I can buy a use or refurb unit?
#88682 by thunderbird
Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:20 pm
jtfc:
If after removing power from the Ooma Telo, only the line 1 & 2 blue lights come on, it means the bootloader is stuck or damaged. Not much hope for this conditon.

If after removing power from the Ooma Telo, and you see the line 1 & 2 and then other lights, there is small hope.

If you bought your Ooma Telo through Cosco or with a credit card, sometimes they extend the warranty up to two years. There may be nothing you can do, but it's worth a try.

Woot had refrubished Ooma Telos on sale a few days ago. But they sell out quick.

Look at: http://www.woot.com/

See also:

http://www.buy.com/sr/searchresults.asp ... isplay=col
#88718 by jtfc
Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:19 am
Thanks Thunderbird.

do you (or anyone in the forum) know this bootloader a fairly common problem?

My unit is between 2 to 3 years old, has many people here have a unit longer than that? I think it's not cool that Ooma don't offer any kind of repair or refurb replacement with a fee for existing Ooma customer. I am an early adopter and recommended Ooma to many friends but I won't anymore.

I was happy with my ooma until this happens. since we hardly use it (and I don't think that really matters to the cost), the average monthly cost of the Ooma after the unit died has been more then the cheapo phone service from my cable company. I still have credits in my Ooma account but I think I am just going to give them up instead of getting another unit. The ROI is terrible for buying a new unit, it will be like throwing good money to bad money, I've learned that lesson many times before. :-)
#88720 by thunderbird
Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:37 am
jtfc wrote:Thanks Thunderbird.

do you (or anyone in the forum) know this bootloader a fairly common problem?

My unit is between 2 to 3 years old, has many people here have a unit longer than that?

I was happy with my ooma until this happens. since we hardly use it (and I don't think that really matters to the cost), the average monthly cost of the Ooma after the unit died has been more then the cheapo phone service from my cable company. I still have credits in my Ooma account but I think I am just going to give them up instead of getting another unit. It will be like throwing good money to bad money, I've learned that lesson many times before. :-)

The bootloader usually fails when there is a power surge or lightening strick. It seemed to happen more in the thunderstorm season, and several other people have reported this problem. I read in this forum that someone said that the Ooma Telo was designed to last five years???

This spring and summer I replaced my ground fault power strips for better ground fault power strips, because of this problem.

Of course if you can pick up a refurbished Ooma Telo, it may not be such a bad deal. In that case you have to contact Ooma and tell them that you are replacing your current failed unit, so that you won't be changed for a reactivation fee or something like that. Woot was charging $140, but I don't know if there are any units left. Buy.com has refurbished units for $160 free shipping, not too bad of a price. I think the refurbished units are just as good as the factory new units, and I read where there is a one year guarantee by Ooma. On the Buy.com site you can usually buy the three year guaranted for much less then the Ooma prices.
#89277 by jtfc
Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:26 pm
Thanks again Thunderbird.

I live in southern california, and we rarely have thunder storm here.

The telo was on an aps powersupply with a few other device, and the other devices has been fine.

I am going to port my number to google voice and cancel my ooma account.
#89280 by thunderbird
Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:32 pm
jtfc wrote:Thanks again Thunderbird.

I live in southern california, and we rarely have thunder storm here.

The telo was on an aps powersupply with a few other device, and the other devices has been fine.

I am going to port my number to google voice and cancel my ooma account.

Sorry to see you leave.

Good Luck
#89281 by lbmofo
Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:05 pm
jtfc wrote:..the average monthly cost of the Ooma after the unit died has been more then the cheapo phone service from my cable company

Care to share how you do that?
#97007 by hackerguy
Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:00 pm
My Ooma Telo was hit by lightening last Monday. I have ordered a refurbished one which should be here tomorrow. I was surprised to find that with my Telo totally disconnected that voice mail still works. You can call my number and after 5 rings it goes to voicemail where you can leave a message. I can then play back the message from My Ooma. Just as if the Telo was still connected. I suppose this is normal but I was surprised to find out. Tempted to just leave things this way. Especially since this is the second time it has happened in 2 years. It got my Telo, my modem, my router and strangely enough my garage door opener.
#97010 by lbmofo
Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:58 pm
Ooma voicemail is handled through Ooma central and not your device so VM would still work. However, after 6 months of no activity (connect your Ooma to internet), Ooma may cancel your service. Since lightning type of event got you twice, maybe think about UPS to see if you'd have better luck protecting your equipments: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7620&start=10#p84768
#97013 by hackerguy
Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:17 pm
lbmofo wrote:Ooma voicemail is handled through Ooma central and not your device so VM would still work. However, after 6 months of no activity (connect your Ooma to internet), Ooma may cancel your service. Since lightning type of event got you twice, maybe think about UPS to see if you'd have better luck protecting your equipments: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7620&start=10#p84768

Thanks for the info. I will check out the UPS.