Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#88289 by bmccollum
Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:25 am
I've read stories on this forum about people having issues with the quality of calls via their Ooma Telo and determining that some other device that only runs in half-duplex (an older printer, etc.) is connected to their wireless router. I've read in many cases that if you have several full-duplex devices connected to the router, along with one/more half-duplex devices, the router picks up on this and will adjust itself (the router, that is) to operate only in half-duplex mode to compensate for the older half-duplex device(s) connected.

With that in mind, that's when a lot of people start mentioning that they have delay/lag issues with conversations via their Ooma Telo where both parties in the conversation continually step on each other throughout the conversation.

Is there any way I can tell if any of the couple of devices I have connected to my wireless router are half-duplex devices, aside from just unplugging everything from the router except for the Ooma Telo and rebooting everything and progressively reconnecting everything one by one and checking the call quality / lag / etc. of calls made via the Ooma Telo until I determine which most recently reconnected device has apparently caused the slowdown and is likely the half-duplex culprit?

Thanks for any assistance / recommendations.
#88308 by thunderbird
Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:47 am
bmccollum wrote:Is there any way I can tell if any of the couple of devices I have connected to my wireless router are half-duplex devices, aside from just unplugging everything from the router except for the Ooma Telo and rebooting everything and progressively reconnecting everything one by one and checking the call quality / lag / etc. of calls made via the Ooma Telo until I determine which most recently reconnected device has apparently caused the slowdown and is likely the half-duplex culprit?

Thanks for any assistance / recommendations.

An example: For a computer you can go in and check the Duplex speed. You can right click on My Computer Icon on our desktop, and left click on properties. Click on the hardware tab, then on Device Manager. Then click on Network Adapters. Right click on the Network adapter that is in use and select Properties. Click on the Advanced tab in the window that opens. Go down and view Link Speed/Duplex Mode. The Value: window to the right will tell the setting. Normally it's set to Automatic.

But if the network card is malfunctioning, you still don't know for sure unless you disconnect the computer from the LAN network, reboot the Modem and test call.

So yes, unhooking everything, and then hooking the Ooma device directly to the modem/router, with nothing else connected, then after reboots, test call. If the call is clear and no one-way conversation, then add another device and so on..... is the best method for trying to isolate Half-Duplex operations. But this don't test your Modem/Router. For that you have to plug in a different Modem/Router.
#88356 by FX4
Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:39 am
Just some clarification points here.

Most home routers are switches so a half duplex device connected directly to the router will not matter.
Wireless is always half duplex. It's the nature of the technology. Full duplex is coming and 802.11n is certainly on the way there, it's not quite half duplex or full duplex with MIMO. The issues come into play when an old router has a half duplex WAN port or Ooma is connected to an old hub rather than a switch. Hubs run at half duplex. The final thing regarding half duplex is that some older devices may not auto-negotiate link speed correctly and drop to half duplex 10Mbps by default. Generally speaking a half duplex device on your network is not going to be a problem unless your WAN port is running at half duplex.