Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#88171 by bmccollum
Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:15 pm
My parents have the AT&T-provided 2wire 2701HG-B integrated modem/router.

This device has extremely poor reviews on every site that mentions it on the Internet.

I'm thinking of replacing the modem/router integrated unit with another 3rd party integrated modem/router.

Anyone have any suggestions on specific brands / model #s?

Long story short is that my parents have been very unhappy with their Ooma Telo for the past year or so. Very bothersome / lengthy voice lag/delay all of the time to where you're stepping on top of each other's conversation. Nothing we've tried as far as calls to Ooma Support and their suggested adjustments to lessen/resolve this voice delay/lag has worked...

Trying to go through the process of elimination and maybe just replace their existing integrated modem/router and see if by-chance that helps the lag situation out.

Thanks.
#88188 by thunderbird
Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:46 pm
bmccollum wrote:My parents have the AT&T-provided 2wire 2701HG-B integrated modem/router.

This device has extremely poor reviews on every site that mentions it on the Internet.

I'm thinking of replacing the modem/router integrated unit with another 3rd party integrated modem/router.

Long story short is that my parents have been very unhappy with their Ooma Telo for the past year or so. Very bothersome / lengthy voice lag/delay all of the time to where you're stepping on top of each other's conversation. Nothing we've tried as far as calls to Ooma Support and their suggested adjustments to lessen/resolve this voice delay/lag has worked...

Trying to go through the process of elimination and maybe just replace their existing integrated modem/router and see if by-chance that helps the lag situation out.

Thanks.

Thinking about replacing the Old AT&T supplied modem/router has centainly put you on the right path!

Look at the Netgear and Actiontec Wireless N DSL Modem/Routers. You can find them in Amazon. Since there are several variations of DSL, make sure that the modem/router that you purchase is compatible with the type of DSL service that your parents have.
#88351 by bmccollum
Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:00 am
thunderbird wrote:
bmccollum wrote:My parents have the AT&T-provided 2wire 2701HG-B integrated modem/router.

I've had several people suggest to get a modem/router combo that has gigabit ethernet ports as opposed to 10/100... they've said doing that will better-ensure that I'm getting an up to date modem/router as opposed to an older one. What are your thoughts on this? I've read great reviews on the ActionTec GT784WN, but the ethernet ports are 10/100 and not gigabit. I just want something that's considerably better-quality, less buggy, and more stable than the 2Wire 2701HG-B for purposes of trying to improve my parents' satisfaction with phone calls going through their Ooma Telo.
Thanks.

Thinking about replacing the Old AT&T supplied modem/router has centainly put you on the right path!

Look at the Netgear and Actiontec Wireless N DSL Modem/Routers. You can find them in Amazon. Since there are several variations of DSL, make sure that the modem/router that you purchase is compatible with the type of DSL service that your parents have.
#88352 by bmccollum
Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:01 am
thunderbird wrote:

Thanks.

I've had several people suggest to get a modem/router combo that has gigabit ethernet ports as opposed to 10/100... they've said doing that will better-ensure that I'm getting an up to date modem/router as opposed to an older one. What are your thoughts on this? I've read great reviews on the ActionTec GT784WN, but the ethernet ports are 10/100 and not gigabit. I just want something that's considerably better-quality, less buggy, and more stable than the 2Wire 2701HG-B for purposes of trying to improve my parents' satisfaction with phone calls going through their Ooma Telo.
Thanks.
#88353 by FX4
Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:16 am
bmccollum wrote:
thunderbird wrote:

Thanks.

Thanks.

This is not true. You do need to make certain you are purchasing a modern router like one of the new Cisco units but you do not need Gig-E. The advantage of buying a Gig-E router is they tend to be feature rich with things like automatic QoS but there are plenty of 10/100 routers that will work just fine. You just need to make certain the router is a newer design.
#88360 by FX4
Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:52 am
I don't know a lot about their routers but I do use a set of actiontec media adapters for my home theater and they work very well. Check around for detailed reviews at Amazon and look for detailed reviews by advanced users. They will tell if it works well. Also do a little research to find out when the router was released. If the design is more than a year or two old I would look elsewhere. Things have changed a lot as far as home networking goes and a newly designed router is kind of critical to ensuring a problem free home network. I recommend the latest generation of Cisco / Linksys routers.