Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#88111 by fjrichman
Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:48 pm
I grabbed a Telo at bestbuy the other day to try it out and see how it works in our area with our internet and I've come across a couple of things that bugged me so I figured I'd post them here, see if someone could help me out with them.
The first thing I had an issue with is the fact that there was all of ONE number available for my city.

Solved: The other thing I've had an issue with is that a number of people have said that to access the Ooma while behind a router without having to plug a cord into the Ooma LAN port, that you just have to add the Ooma's LAN port to it's DMZ which would make it accessible via the Internet Port after doing this I was still unable to access the Ooma's setup page unless using an Ethernet to Ooma's LAN port. Perhaps I did something wrong, some help would be nice.

Edit 2: Found out on another site that to get setup page access through the Internet Port with the Ooma Telo, you have to create a Port Forward inside the Telo's advance settings to forward port 80 to itself. You can then access it through the Telo's assigned (or static) IP address assigned by the router. You should NOT do this if you do not have a router/firewall that the Telo is behind.

The third issue I've noticed as of late is that currently anytime I receive a call through my Google Voice number, setup with GVE, the Caller ID doesn't work. I've tried delaying the automatic pickup in GVE settings but it still seems to not work. If I use the actual Ooma number though Caller ID works fine.

Edit 3: After 50 minutes on the phone with CS, it appears that Incoming Caller ID for GVE is unsupported at this time.
Edit 4: After messing with some settings I was finally able to get Caller ID working with GVE, all it took was setting the auto answer to 10 seconds, this seems to give sufficient amount of time for the Caller ID to show up on the phone. It also apparently allows the phone to ring more than once.

Also whenever I receive a call through Google Voice my non-telo handset phone rings only once.
Edit: After some searching, it seems that there's no way to fix the ringing only once on a non-telo handset phone, apparently this is a "feature" personally it's a feature I'd prefer be optional and perhaps with an update it could be.

Call Quality so far appears to be great, and despite a few dropped calls which I suspect were related to network issues and I'm hoping I can really get these small issues taken care of so my Ooma experience can be that much better.
Last edited by fjrichman on Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#88115 by thunderbird
Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:54 am
fjrichman wrote:I grabbed a Telo at bestbuy the other day to try it out and see how it works in our area with our internet and I've come across a couple of things that bugged me so I figured I'd post them here, see if someone could help me out with them.
The first thing I had an issue with is the fact that there was all of ONE number available for my city.

You have to work with Ooma Customer Support for this Issue.

fjrichman wrote:Solved: The other thing I've had an issue with is that a number of people have said that to access the Ooma while behind a router without having to plug a cord into the Ooma LAN port, that you just have to add the Ooma's LAN port to it's DMZ which would make it accessible via the Internet Port after doing this I was still unable to access the Ooma's setup page unless using an Ethernet to Ooma's LAN port. Perhaps I did something wrong, some help would be nice.

Edit 2: Found out on another site that to get setup page access through the Internet Port with the Ooma Telo, you have to create a Port Forward inside the Telo's advance settings to forward port 80 to itself. You can then access it through the Telo's assigned (or static) IP address assigned by the router. You should NOT do this if you do not have a router/firewall that the Telo is behind.

Most people reserve an IP address with a permanent lease, in their router for the Ooma device, then use the Ooma device Advanced page Port Forward 172.27.35.1:80 Section. The reserved Ooma Device IP address is then the address typed into a computer browser window to access Ooma Setup. Example: http://192.186.20.143 or what ever IP address number that you reserved for the Ooma device.
If you are using an Ooma Wi-Fi USB dongle, all you have to do is check the check box located right above the Port Forward section.

fjrichman wrote:The third issue I've noticed as of late is that currently anytime I receive a call through my Google Voice number, setup with GVE, the Caller ID doesn't work. I've tried delaying the automatic pickup in GVE settings but it still seems to not work. If I use the actual Ooma number though Caller ID works fine.

Also whenever I receive a call through Google Voice my non-telo handset phone rings only once.
Edit: After some searching, it seems that there's no way to fix the ringing only once on a non-telo handset phone, apparently this is a "feature" personally it's a feature I'd prefer be optional and perhaps with an update it could be.

I believe there is a certain time period before all of the Caller ID data bases are populated. You can call Ooma Customer Support to question this answer.

fjrichman wrote:[/b] Call Quality so far appears to be great, and despite a few dropped calls which I suspect were related to network issues and I'm hoping I can really get these small issues taken care of so my Ooma experience can be that much better.

Dropped Calls:
To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing by doing the following:

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, Unless you have set up Ooma Setup portforwarding, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem, your Router and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Router. When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device.

Second:
Access the Ooma Setup Advanced page. Under Quality of Service set both the Upstream Internet speed and Down Stream Internet speed to approxomately 90% of the measured Upload and Download speeds as measured by http://www.speedtest.net/ .

Click on Update. Then test making and receiving calls.
#88125 by fjrichman
Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:08 am
Thank You for answering, I suspected I'd have to call CS about the first issue if I really wanted to make a big deal about it. But I had really been hoping someone might of had an answer about the GVE CID thing. I suppose later today I'll have to give a call to Ooma CS and find out exactly what's going on.
#88130 by fjrichman
Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:06 pm
Something else I've noticed, not really an issue but a little weird, if someone calls from a restricted number and they're in my phone book, Ooma can display the correct contact anyways?