Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#87865 by GeordieLaforge
Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:33 pm
We have a problem with our ACNielsen Homescan (now called NCPOnline)scanner. The scanner has a built in dialer to transmit data...it will dial the number, I can hear it answer and try to connect but it doesn't. NCPOnline says the scanner isn't compatible with VOIP but if it dials and gets a handshake (like a fax machine) then what is the problem???
#87866 by thunderbird
Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:06 pm
GeordieLaforge wrote:We have a problem with our ACNielsen Homescan (now called NCPOnline)scanner. The scanner has a built in dialer to transmit data...it will dial the number, I can hear it answer and try to connect but it doesn't. NCPOnline says the scanner isn't compatible with VOIP but if it dials and gets a handshake (like a fax machine) then what is the problem???

Can you program the dialer to add the prefex *99 and maybe a pause before dialong the number? *99 swithes to a wider band Codec, the same that is used for Ooma Fax.
#87877 by GeordieLaforge
Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:47 pm
I don't have any way to get in to the software but I will contact NCP tomorrow and see if there is something that can be done.

Thanks for the suggestion. Does that mean I need to program my fax machine to dial *99 when dialing out too?
#87880 by thunderbird
Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:17 am
GeordieLaforge wrote:I don't have any way to get in to the software but I will contact NCP tomorrow and see if there is something that can be done.

Thanks for the suggestion. Does that mean I need to program my fax machine to dial *99 when dialing out too? (Corrected)


Some background Fax information [which doesn't apply to the Hub (corrected)]:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12241
by Bobby B » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:17 pm
“A few weeks ago all Telos received fax tone detection support, which allows the Telo to change to an uncompressed codec when a fax call is detected. As a result of this change, the manual fax mode parameter (*99 [added text] corrected) is no longer needed. We're in the process of updating the documentation to reflect this change”.

Try testing with the HP Fax test number:
Send a Fax to the HP Fax Test number is 1-888-473-2963.
Within five minutes you should received a return Fax from the HP Fax Test number.
Last edited by thunderbird on Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
#87882 by murphy
Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:40 am
Thunderbird,

You modified Bobby B's quote by adding (*99) to it.
His quote was:

"A few weeks ago all Telos received fax tone detection support, which allows the Telo to change to an uncompressed codec when a fax call is detected. As a result of this change, the manual fax mode parameter is no longer needed. We're in the process of updating the documentation to reflect this change."

He was referring to the check box in the my.ooma configuration for a Telo which enabled fax mode.
That is what went away. The Telo can now detect the fax tone on an incoming call like the Hub has always done.

*99 is still needed for Hub and Telo outgoing fax calls.
#87883 by thunderbird
Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:09 am
murphy wrote:Thunderbird,

You modified Bobby B's quote by adding (*99) to it.
His quote was:

"A few weeks ago all Telos received fax tone detection support, which allows the Telo to change to an uncompressed codec when a fax call is detected. As a result of this change, the manual fax mode parameter is no longer needed. We're in the process of updating the documentation to reflect this change."

He was referring to the check box in the my.ooma configuration for a Telo which enabled fax mode.
That is what went away. The Telo can now detect the fax tone on an incoming call like the Hub has always done.

*99 is still needed for Hub and Telo outgoing fax calls.

I made corrections.

As reported by Ooma Telo Fax users, *99, *98, *96 has no effect for Faxing for the Ooma Telos since the recent changes.
Last edited by thunderbird on Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
#87897 by murphy
Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:03 pm
GeordieLaforge wrote:Then if I don't need the *99 for the Telos to detect the fax (or in this case, the data) tone, and the scanner is attempting to connect, why is it not working??

You need *99 to place an outbound data call.
#87903 by thunderbird
Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:59 pm
GeordieLaforge:
Sorry about the confusion.
First:
Try testing with the HP Fax test number (works with any Fax Machine):
Send a Fax to the HP Fax Test number 1-888-473-2963.
Within five minutes you should received a return Fax from the HP Fax Test number.
If it doesn't work try the *99-1-888-473-2963 number combination.

Second:
More than likely your ACNielsen Homescan (now called NCPOnline) scanner will need to have the prefix *99 added before the normal dialer number is called, for use with and Ooma Telo.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests