Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#87824 by bbeebop
Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:53 pm
I am a new Ooma customer and have a question about the second number I can get through my subscription to Premiere. I am using 4 cordless phones with one base unit - all are Panasonic D.E.C.T 6.0. This phone set does not offer a second line function. I do not have an Ooma handset. I am using the Telo for my Ooma service. I had a former AT&T phone number ported to be my primary phone number.

We recently moved to a new house where we now have the Ooma service. We still have phone service at our former residence through Comcast while waiting for that house to sell. My question is: can I have the Comcast phone number ported to become my second personal number on Ooma? I don't need two lines to make two simultaneous calls. It wouldn't matter if a call came in on the second line and another caller heard a busy signal on the primary line. We don't need two lines to make separate calls. My goal is to keep the phone number from our former residence as well as our phone number at our new residence (primary number that was already ported) and not have to continue paying Comcast $50+ each month to forward calls to our new home.

I hope I was able to explain my question sufficiently so that someone can offer an answer. Thanks for your assistance.
#87828 by 2spirit
Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:10 pm
Yes, you can have your Comcast number ported to Ooma. The normal porting fee would be charged and a subscription to Premier is required to maintain the use of two numbers. Since you don't presently have an Ooma handset, you would not be able to have two simultaneous conversations. A call coming in while your phone is in use would be sent to Ooma Voicemail. Welcome to Ooma and the forums!
#87830 by bbeebop
Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:20 pm
Thanks for replying so quickly and for your welcome to Ooma. So far, we are receiving the service we expected. Customer service has been pretty good. We had to get two replacement units before all the features on the Telo worked properly, but they were sent out pretty quickly. These forums are great for obtaining information about using the service.

Now - on to disconnecting Comcast!
#87836 by murphy
Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:26 am
bbeebop wrote:Thanks for replying so quickly and for your welcome to Ooma. So far, we are receiving the service we expected. Customer service has been pretty good. We had to get two replacement units before all the features on the Telo worked properly, but they were sent out pretty quickly. These forums are great for obtaining information about using the service.

Now - on to disconnecting Comcast!

Don't disconnect Comcast until after the number is ported or you risk losing the number.
#88530 by llptbird
Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:41 pm
bbeebop:
Go into your Comcast account when you get ooma connected and working, foward your Comcast number to you Ooma number until you have you Comcast number ported. That way you don't have to give out Ooma's new number. Your friends just call your home number from Comcast.
TomP