Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#86966 by Cougar
Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:29 am
My current setup is Modem-Telo-Router which is the suggested setup. This setup works fine as far as call quality is concerned but once or twice a week my router (Trendnet TEW-639GR) looses the internet (WAN) connection to the TELO. To get the connection back I usually need to reboot the router once or twice. This never occurred until after I installed the TELO. After reading many posts on this forum I have yet to find a solution even though I am using the built in Internet MAC address. What I think may be happening is that occasionally the Telo looses the internet signal (turns red) and within a very short time re-aquires it leaving the router without a signal unless rebooted. This is only a theory since I have yet to prove it. A number of people seem to have this problem but I have not seen a solution posted besides the "use the built in MAC address" and the "move the Telo behind the router" suggestions. I tried the built in Mac address and it did not work. I am resisting the "move behind the router" suggestion as I have no open ports available and the Telo is really designed to be connected in between the modem and the router so it can control the traffic. Any other suggestions? By the way, I am using a Motorola SB5101 cable modem with Comcast cable.
#86968 by lbmofo
Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:50 am
I have my Ooma in front of the router; I had the same router. I've since moved off of it because Ooma mobile app wouldn't work no matter what I tried. I don't remember having to reboot too often but it did happen once in a while.

Then I got a TRENDnet TEW-652BRP that worked better with Ooma app but I had to reboot often.

I had TRENDnet TEW-639GR H/W: V1.0R, then TRENDnet TEW-652BRP H/W: V2.1R
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8389&start=10#p62178

Now, I have a D-Link DIR-825 and no issues; never had to reboot.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8389&start=20#p77185
#86969 by thunderbird
Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:59 am
Cougar wrote:My current setup is Modem-Telo-Router which is the suggested setup. This setup works fine as far as call quality is concerned but once or twice a week my router (Trendnet TEW-639GR) looses the internet (WAN) connection to the TELO. To get the connection back I usually need to reboot the router once or twice. This never occurred until after I installed the TELO. After reading many posts on this forum I have yet to find a solution even though I am using the built in Internet MAC address. What I think may be happening is that occasionally the Telo looses the internet signal (turns red) and within a very short time re-aquires it leaving the router without a signal unless rebooted. This is only a theory since I have yet to prove it. A number of people seem to have this problem but I have not seen a solution posted besides the "use the built in MAC address" and the "move the Telo behind the router" suggestions. I tried the built in Mac address and it did not work. I am resisting the "move behind the router" suggestion as I have no open ports available and the Telo is really designed to be connected in between the modem and the router so it can control the traffic. Any other suggestions? By the way, I am using a Motorola SB5101 cable modem with Comcast cable.

I suspect you are having momentary Internet interruptions.

Usually a router is programmed not disconnect for a few milliseconds, after it has lost its Internet signal. With the Ooma device in line, it may add just enough delay to let the router disconnect.

Most routers will reconnect by it self, if there is an Internet interruption.

In most cases the Ooma device will reconnect by itself also.

There may be a problem with the router, but it may be the modem also.

I would make sure you have the latest firmware updates for both the Modem and Router. Then I would do factory resets on both the Modem and Router.

If it continues, you could purchase a Switch and then connect the Ooma device after the router. A switch is a router port multiplier. I have my Ooma Telo connected behind my router and it works fine. I also use two eight port switches in my home's LAN.
#86976 by Cougar
Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:18 pm
Thanks for the replys. I do have the latest firmware in the router but I never checked for the cable modem so I suppose I should. I know about the switch but was trying to avoid yet another power supply to plugin. I think you are right though about the momentary interruptions which the Telo reconnects to with no problem but the router seems to have issues with. I assume it has something to do with the Telo being inbetween since I had no issue until I installed the Telo. I just hate having to buy another router so the switch may be the answer. Adding the Telo behind the router though will make the QOS settings in the Telo useless (from what I understand) and the router doesn't have any. Always another issue . . .
#86977 by Cougar
Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:32 pm
lbmofo wrote:I have my Ooma in front of the router; I had the same router. I've since moved off of it because Ooma mobile app wouldn't work no matter what I tried. I don't remember having to reboot too often but it did happen once in a while.

Then I got a TRENDnet TEW-652BRP that worked better with Ooma app but I had to reboot often.

I had TRENDnet TEW-639GR H/W: V1.0R, then TRENDnet TEW-652BRP H/W: V2.1R
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8389&start=10#p62178

Now, I have a D-Link DIR-825 and no issues; never had to reboot.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8389&start=20#p77185

Well if I decide to try a new router, I guess I could give the D-Link DIR-825 a try if it is still available.