Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#86699 by KuhnPE
Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:44 pm
How do i change my IP address to internet port? I want to change the IP address i see on whatismyip.com, ive tried everything and am unable to change it. Please advise.
#86703 by murphy
Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:29 am
KuhnPE wrote:How do i change my IP address to internet port? I want to change the IP address i see on whatismyip.com, ive tried everything and am unable to change it. Please advise.

That is controlled by your ISP.
One way is to spoof your MAC address.
Another is to determine what your ISP's lease time is, release the IP address, turn off your equipment for twice the lease time and hope that someone else grabs your old IP address during the off time.
#86707 by thunderbird
Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:52 am
KuhnPE wrote:How do i change my IP address to internet port? I want to change the IP address i see on whatismyip.com, ive tried everything and am unable to change it. Please advise.

Most Internet providers issue their IP addresses Dynamically.
If your Internet provider issues their IP addresses Dynamically, normally all you have to do is reboot your Modem. Some Modems have batteries installed that may have to be tepoararily removed, while the Modem power is off. If using DSL, some times you have to reboot both the Modem and Ooma device to see an IP address change.

If your Internet provider issues static IP addresses, you have to call them and have them change it.
#86715 by KuhnPE
Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:49 am
the IP address changes as along as I remove the OOMA everytime I unplug the modem. But whenever OOMA is plugged in behind the modem I have a static IP, even though I tell it to have DHCP... I am at a complete loss.
#86717 by thunderbird
Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:30 am
KuhnPE wrote:the IP address changes as along as I remove the OOMA everytime I unplug the modem. But whenever OOMA is plugged in behind the modem I have a static IP, even though I tell it to have DHCP... I am at a complete loss.

What you described is normal for many installations. But as long as you see a changed IP address when you un-power and repower both the modem and Ooma, is probably most important.

If you are trying to do something else, please describe what you want in more detail.
#86718 by KuhnPE
Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:41 am
my setup is modem - ooma - router. I have unplugged the modem and ooma router mulitple times and still get the same exact IP on whatismyip.com. Whenever i plug the computer directly into the modem I get a new IP every time I power on and off the modem. The same goes if I directly plug the router to the modem. But whenever i have ooma behind the modem I have a static IP address. I do not want a static IP address.
#86720 by thunderbird
Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:55 am
KuhnPE wrote:my setup is modem - ooma - router. I have unplugged the modem and ooma router mulitple times and still get the same exact IP on whatismyip.com. Whenever i plug the computer directly into the modem I get a new IP every time I power on and off the modem. The same goes if I directly plug the router to the modem. But whenever i have ooma behind the modem I have a static IP address. I do not want a static IP address.

Go into Ooma Setup by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open.
Click on Status at left lower side. Go to TO INTERNET port: and record the IP number that you see to the right. This is the IP number that the Ooma device is using.

Click on Internet. Go to Connection type: and click on the down arrow. Select either Automatic, or Dynamic (DHCP).
Next go to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and select Automatic (if not already selected).

Click on Update Device below and reboot your Modem and Ooma device.

Go back into Ooma Setup and click on Status and see if the IP number changed from the number you recorded above.

Notice: When using the Ooma device, many people find that using a static IP address and using the Built In MAC address prevents many Quailty of Service problems.
#86721 by KuhnPE
Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:28 am
back to the same static IP, i was just using this setup Modem-Router and had a nice new dynamic IP. I plugged back in the ooma and change the settings to what you said, and have a static IP again, the same 1 ive had for weeks...
#86726 by murphy
Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:11 am
KuhnPE wrote:I even tried the factory reset option, which is holding the trash and stop button. After reset, i am back to the same IP address

The IP address is based on the MAC address of the first device after the modem. That device remembers the last IP address that it had and will ask for it the next time. If no one else has grabbed it, the request will be granted. This is not a static IP address. I already described in a previous post in this thread two ways to get a different IP address. You can reboot things until the cows come home but your IP address will not change unless you present a different MAC address to the cable modem (after power cycling the modem) or turn everything off long enough for someone else to get that address.

A static IP address is assigned by the ISP and you have to manually enter it into the first device after the modem. No ISP that I am aware of will do that for a residential account, only a business account and it costs extra.