Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#87167 by Cyberchat
Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:28 pm
bukzin wrote:Cyberchat,

Looks like an excellent set up.

Questions... Did you need both the new style ATT cordless phones/base and the Ooma cordless set-up
to make this work?

Thanks

Sorry I'm so tardy in responding to your question. I hadn't checked this thread for a while! :( I guess I need to turn on notification for replies.

No, you don't need to have the Ooma cordless phone to make this work. You just need the AT&T phones/base with the Bluetooth option. Other (non-AT&T) phone/base telephones with a Bluetooth option might work as well but I recommend that you go to their website and review the User Manual for any phone/base to evaluate the call management features before you purchase it. What I liked about the AT&T call management features were the ability to easily switch between calls with the other line being automatically placed on hold and the ability to easily conference the two calls together from a menu option.
#91394 by Wisdom4U
Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:30 pm
Cyberchat I was wondering if you or others have a solution for the 2nd line caller id.

By this I mean that I would like the caller id that people who receive my calls see to be that of my business line (line 2) eg. xxx-5009 and not that of the line 1 eg. xxx-1400. I was looking at the 2 line att model you mention but then when you said that you were unaware of how you hook up line 2 to this phone with one telo my question re caller id came up.
Can you confirm if I had the telo handset those I call from line 2 would see xxx-5009 (assuming this is the number for line 2 I port to ooma)?
What options regarding a headset would I have then?

I've read different things about using a splitter but can't try this as I have not ordered a second line with ooma. Anyone got this working with the telo base only?
#91402 by Cyberchat
Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:56 pm
Wisdom4U wrote:Cyberchat I was wondering if you or others have a solution for the 2nd line caller id.

By this I mean that I would like the caller id that people who receive my calls see to be that of my business line (line 2) eg. xxx-5009 and not that of the line 1 eg. xxx-1400. I was looking at the 2 line att model you mention but then when you said that you were unaware of how you hook up line 2 to this phone with one telo my question re caller id came up.
Can you confirm if I had the telo handset those I call from line 2 would see xxx-5009 (assuming this is the number for line 2 I port to ooma)?

I've read different things about using a splitter but can't try this as I have not ordered a second line with ooma. Anyone got this working with the telo base only?

I need a little more information about your equipment and configuration, so I'll state some assumptions to answer your questions. First, to have more than one line with Ooma you need to subscribe to Ooma's "Premier" service. It costs $9.99 per month or $119.99 per year (Includes one free line port or a Ooma Handset).

Under "Privacy Preferences" on Ooma's web site for each Telo unit you can configure which telephone number to use as the "Default number for outgoing calls" if you want to transmit caller-id information and you can also block the transmission of caller-id information if you so desire.

Scenario-1; You only have one Ooma-based VOIP telephone line to which you have ported two telephone numbers. You will have to subscribe to the Ooma Premier service to configure two telephone numbers. You will be able to make and receive calls on either telephone number but you won't be able to have more than one telephone call in progress at a time. You will have to make a choice about which of the two telephone numbers will be transmitted as caller-id information and the same caller-id information would be transmitted for all outgoing calls. In this scenario, you would use only one of the two possible lines on your 2-line AT&T handsets.

Scenario-2; Line-1 equals a POTS (plain old telephone service) line (or telephone service through your cable TV company) and Line-2 equals an Ooma Telo VOIP line. You hook up the above respective lines to your AT&T 2-line handsets. Each line then would have its own separate caller-id information, one through the telephone company and the other through Ooma. In this scenario, you might want to use the POTS line for in/out Faxes and also for any external security system hookups if you have such equipment.

Scenario-3; LIne-1 equals an Ooma Telo unit and Line-2 equals a second separate and distinct Ooma Telo unit. You hook up the above respective lines to your AT&T 2-line handsets. Each line then would have its own separate caller-id information which you would configure through Ooma's web site. You might need to have two separate accounts with Ooma for this scenario.

From my perspective, Scenario-2 is more attractive especially if you can get by with a minimal cost POTS service. Ooma has had some brief outages and the Telo units might need to be replaced after a couple of years either of which can cause telephone service to fail and if you loose your internet service you will also lose your telephone service. That's part of the reason I purchased the AT&T handsets with the cell-phone/bluetooth integration. Our telephone service continues through my cell phone service if the above outages occur. Also, I've purchased the Ooma extended warranty for the Telo unit and I've had to exercise a no-cost replacement once in two years so the cost of the extended warranty was cost-effective. Ooma's customer support was very responsive but it required about a two to three-day replacement cycle.

For simultaneous calls on two separate lines, you will need either two physical telephone lines or under VOIP two Ooma devices. Ooma can only support one telephone call per Ooma device.
#91404 by Cyberchat
Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:10 am
Wisdom4U wrote:Cyberchat I was wondering if you or others have a solution for the 2nd line caller id.

Another thought which I forgot to mention in my previous message is that the Telo Handset does provide you another option. We also have an OOMA handset which allows us to have two simultaneous calls active through the OOMA products. This meets the need to have two Ooma devices to have two simultaneous calls active, i.e., the Ooma Telo and the Ooma Handset. In this scenario with the Ooma handset, if you have more than one telephone number ported to Ooma, you can assign/dedicate one of the telephone numbers to the Ooma handset but then you must answer all calls to the second line with this single physical Ooma handset. Also, with a single Telo configuration I believe that the Ooma website only allows one telephone number to be configured to be used as the caller-id response. Again, if you have more than one telephone line source, i.e., POTS/Ooma or two Ooma Telo's, then you could configure the caller-id information separately for each line.

In our residence, we rarely use the OOMA handset. From our experience the AT&T 2-line DECT 6.0 phones serve our needs much better because we can answer all calls from any of our AT&T handsets scattered throughout our residence. Trying to run a business from a single physical Ooma handset would be awkward for us. I believe the assignment/dedication of a telephone number to an Ooma handset perhaps works better for a teenager bedroom or live-in grandmother situation than for a business line.