Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#86077 by clismi
Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:49 pm
Yesterday, my Telo speaker audio became distorted to the point that voice message playback is unintelligible through the speaker, but it sounds fine through the phones. I have the #47885 firmware, and all other features of the Telo are working fine.

My Telo is out of warranty by at least several months, and customer support said there was no repair service for out-of-warranty units and my only option was to buy a new Telo.

Is there anything I can do or try?

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by clismi on Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#86079 by thunderbird
Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:57 pm
clismi wrote:Yesterday, my Telo speaker audio became distorted to the point that voice message playback is unintelligable through the speaker, but it sounds fine through the phones. I have the #47885 firmware, and all other features of the Telo are working fine.

My Telo is out of warranty by at least several months, and customer support said there was no repair service for out-of-warranty units and my only option was to buy a new Telo.

Is there anything I can do or try?

Thanks in advance!

There may be nothing you can do.

But with the Ooma phone system outage yesterday, strange things have been happening.

Try powering off the Ooma device for fifteen minutes. This allows time for the Ooma servers to reload your Ooma profile. Then repower the Ooma device and test.
#86086 by thunderbird
Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:33 pm
clismi wrote:Thanks Thunderbird. That didn't solve the problem, but it was a good idea.

Anything else to try?

No not really.

Firmware release 48460 is reported to fix Robotic Voice Problem, Bug 11268, is starting to be released. Maybe it will help with your problem also?
#86115 by clismi
Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:53 am
I've noticed that the distorted audio isn't as bad if the volume is turned way down, and it is much worse as the volume is turned up. I'm thinking there are three possibilities:
1. The speaker has failed
2. The speaker amplifier chip has failed
3. There is a software or configuration problem
Can I get a speaker to try? It simply plugs onto the circuit board.
Since all the other features are working normally, I don't suspect a power supply problem, but I tried another power supply just to be thorough--same distortion.

As you can tell, I am hesitant to spend $200 for something that would normally be repairable on a different electronic device.
Why is there no repair option? I see that Ooma sells refurbished Telo units, so there must be a repair option for warranty units. Why not for customer units out of warranty?
#86118 by thunderbird
Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:36 am
clismi wrote:I've noticed that the distorted audio isn't as bad if the volume is turned way down, and it is much worse as the volume is turned up.
As you can tell, I am hesitant to spend $200 for something that would normally be repairable on a different electronic device.

If I was able to play and hear clearly the voicemail messages on my phone, I would never replace the Ooma Telo for this reason.
clismi wrote:
I'm thinking there are three possibilities:
1. The speaker has failed.
Can I get a speaker to try? It simply plugs onto the circuit board.

If the speaker unplugs, unplug it and look for manufacture's name, model numbers, part number, etc. With an ohmmeter, measure the speaker's impedence. Then go online and see if you can find another speaker.
If the speaker just unplugs, the connection may be poor. Try unplugging the speaker, then plug it back in and test.
clismi wrote:2. The speaker amplifier chip has failed

With out a print it may be very difficult to located the chip and then replace it.
clismi wrote:3. There is a software or configuration problem

You could just wait for the next Ooma Telo firmware update, which should be coming very soon.
clismi wrote:Since all the other features are working normally, I don't suspect a power supply problem, but I tried another power supply just to be thorough--same distortion.
Why is there no repair option? I see that Ooma sells refurbished Telo units, so there must be a repair option for warranty units. Why not for customer units out of warranty?

Most important, if you try for a repair, let us know how you come out.
#86123 by clismi
Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:43 am
For others who may look at this in the future.
1. I've already Googled the number on the back of the speaker with no luck. The part number on the speaker: On one line is "YC", and on the next line is "YD-2014E-17".
2. I connected and unconnected the speaker from the board--no change.
3. Measuring with an ohmmeter gives you the DC resistance, what you need is the AC impedance. The two are the same only at the resonant frequency of the speaker. I'll post this when I measure it.
4. Yes, repairs are difficult without a schematic. The board is also multi-layer, with mostly surface mount components and that takes more skill to repair than through hole mounted components. This option isn't very good.
5. I've spoken with Ooma customer support. My Telo unit is out of warranty since November so they won't ship a replacement--fair enough. Even if a customer is willing to pay, there is no repair service for out-of-warranty units. They will not sell me a replacement speaker to try.
6. My options according to Ooma customer support are:
A. Live with it, meaning listen to the messages through a handset or computer
B. Buy a new Telo (for example $220 at Costco--includes bluetooth adapter and a handset)
C. Buy a refurbished Telo ($189 from Ooma w/ one year warranty and free shipping)
D. Buy a new Telo ($199 includes $50 discount and free shipping from Ooma).
E. Watch for a Telo on eBay and use it for parts (i.e.,the speaker)

I'm not upset--in fact, I'm very happy with Ooma. I appreciate Thunderbird's help and great suggestions.
Last edited by clismi on Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
#86125 by clismi
Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:48 am
Oh...and while I find it interesting that this audio problem occurred on the same day as the power outage/server shutdown, I am almost certain that they are not related.
#86524 by keith
Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:17 am
I seem to have this problem too. I'm not sure exactly when it started, but it's likely within the past 2 weeks. clismi, do you know how big the speaker is ? pictures would help as well.