Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#86001 by EricJRW
Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:52 am
So did anyone notice if calls were getting forwarded (My ooma -> Preferences -> Call Forwarding)? This failure seemed to be so catastrophic, that I wonder if calls were even being forwarded.
#86007 by murphy
Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:56 am
EricJRW wrote:So did anyone notice if calls were getting forwarded (My ooma -> Preferences -> Call Forwarding)? This failure seemed to be so catastrophic, that I wonder if calls were even being forwarded.

Answered the other place that you asked the same question.
#86010 by EricJRW
Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:09 am
Here's that response (from viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12282#p86003):

murphy wrote:
EricJRW wrote: Though I wish I would have thought to test the call forwarding on network failure feature.

It didn't work. Network outage means when your network is out. Their servers were cut off. There was no way to process anything.

And my response, as I thought network meant something else completly!

Interesting... I took that to mean something else completely. Good to know... And maybe something for ooma to consider. I'm assuming steps will be taken so this does not happen again (or maybe not), but a redundant server just for forwarding might be a lot less expensive that a fully redundant NON co-located backup stratagy...

Anyway, I made a thread re-asking this question. Guess I should have waited a few minutes, but I think your response in that thread would be helpful... I suspect others may assume "network" means ooma's network, not the user's.

Thanks
#86019 by EBDeWitt
Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:39 am
It did not work.. Ooma could not get the call to forward it. :D

I think that they were great at dealing with a bad failure and were trying their best to get it back up ASAP. And did a good job of that.
As others have stated there have been several larger server problems that have taken down the biggest of them AMAZON CLOUD for one.

Ooma needs to look into having servers on both coasts as they grow things will change.
#86039 by EricJRW
Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:56 am
Yeah, the size of this failure is starting to sink in. Amazing.