Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#85989 by caseybea
Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:29 am
I am stunned I am not finding more posts regarding the outage- regarding ooma's TOTAL lack of communication during.

Why the heck have a twitter status page if it doesn't get updated? (until HOURS later). I seriously thought ooma as a company had gone under and shut down.

Also, having ooma's phone service AND support using the SAME shaky internet link? Wow. #fail.
#86000 by EricJRW
Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:47 am
I was kinda surprise that by the time I found out ooma (and ooma.com) was down, and found the twitter feed, that there was noting there. I suspect a new line-item needs to be in the disaster mitigation procedure to include updates on non-ooma domains.

No big deal for us... We still have our cell phones. Though I wish I would have thought to test the call forwarding on network failure feature.
#86003 by murphy
Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:54 am
EricJRW wrote: Though I wish I would have thought to test the call forwarding on network failure feature.

It didn't work. Network outage means when your network is out. Their servers were cut off. There was no way to process anything.
#86008 by EricJRW
Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:58 am
murphy wrote:
EricJRW wrote: Though I wish I would have thought to test the call forwarding on network failure feature.

It didn't work. Network outage means when your network is out. Their servers were cut off. There was no way to process anything.

Interesting... I took that to mean something else completely. Good to know... And maybe something for ooma to consider. I'm assuming steps will be taken so this does not happen again, but a redundant server just for forwarding might be a lot less expensive that a fully redundant NON co-located backup stratagy...

Anyway, I made a thread re-asking this question. Guess I should have waited a few minutes, but I think your response in that thread would be helpful... I suspect others may assume "network" means ooma's network, not the user's.

Thanks
#86113 by caseybea
Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:55 am
lbmofo wrote:About Ooma_Status Twitter; should be better in the future: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12261&start=30#p85991

As for other items, I am sure the guys at Ooma are hard at work with lessons learned to improve for the future.

There are several things that ooma promised "should be better in the future" - after their LAST major outage (regarding outages, communication, adding a second data center, etc) - none of which have occurred. I'm not holding my breath I guess... THIS is one of the main reasons ooma will most likely always be a second rate voip provider. If they don't act like a top-notch company, implement communications like a top-notch company, they will never BE one.

Even when they DO send stuff to the twitter status, there's not enough info. "Upgrade tonight, my ooma and system activation functions will be offline for a couple hours". OK, that's cool... but WHAT TIME? Fail.

The best companies communicate. The best companies are transparent. Ooma needs to step up.
#86119 by lbmofo
Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:45 am
There is room for improvement at least in communications. I agree.

On the flip side, Ooma customers are somewhat spoiled in that there are so many ways to hear from Ooma on what's going on. I don't get that with any of my other services that I am getting at home. My cable was out 3 times this year, hours or full day at a time. I don't have any place to go other than call them to find out what's going on.

A little while ago, Verizon wireless had a nationwide 4G LTE outage for the whole day. Hours later, twitter was updated. This can happen even to a heavy weight like Verizon. http://www.networkworld.com/news/2011/0 ... utage.html