Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#85472 by jerryb2339
Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:09 pm
My Telo is connected to the phone in my home office and all is good. But in the rest of my house I use a phone "system" where there is one master phone and 4 satellite phones. These are still using my old phone number because AT&T won't disonnect the old number until tomorrow (leaving me with my DSL service only).

But now I am reading that unless I disconnect the AT&T wiring outside the house that I run the risk of damaging the Telo and voiding the warranty. If I do that....what happens to my DSL? And how does the Telo work with no phone wiring? What am I missing here (I am technologically very challenged to say the least)
#85476 by murphy
Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:39 pm
The DSL signal needs to be run to one phone jack near the DSL modem.
All other phone jacks in the house are disconnected from the DSL signal but connected to each other.

A second way is to connect the DSL signal to line 2 in your house wiring and leave line 1 disconnected from the outside world.
The only problem with this approach is that it leaves a lot of unused wire connected to the DSL signal which may cause some signal corruption.
#85491 by jerryb2339
Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:53 pm
thanks. I've never actually seen the NIB but I think I know where it is located and I'll take a look when I leave work. Right now I have everything plugged into an old 5 way splitter, but I think I'd better buy the 3-way splitter as pictured because the one I am using has no numbers or letters on it and I assume it is not the right type.

Do I leave the DSL filter in the line? Jerry
#85493 by jerryb2339
Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:17 pm
lbmofo wrote:Welcome Jerry. Take a look at this: viewtopic.php?t=10553#p73638

thanks. I've never actually seen the NIB but I think I know where it is located and I'll take a look when I leave work. Right now I have everything plugged into an old 5 way splitter, but I think I'd better buy the 3-way splitter as pictured because the one I am using has no numbers or letters on it to designate L1 and L2 so I assume it is not the right type.

Do I leave the DSL filter in the line? I assume I no longer need it because there isn't anything to interfere with it. Jerry
#85494 by lbmofo
Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:20 pm
You don't need DSL splitters anywhere; they are used on lines that have DSL signal present to reduce noise on phones.

The duplex splitters such as this one doesn't have any markings because they are just port multipliers. These don't give you access to different pairs of the telephone wiring.
#85496 by jerryb2339
Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:34 pm
lbmofo wrote:You don't need DSL splitters anywhere; they are used on lines that have DSL signal present to reduce noise on phones.

The duplex splitters such as this one doesn't have any markings because they are just port multipliers. These don't give you access to different pairs of the telephone wiring.

Cool. I thought my "splitter" probably wasn't the right type (I'm embarrassed to say I found it in the garage in a box of old telephone junk). You've been great....I can't wait to see if I can find the NIB and what it looks like. I bought a Logitech Harmony remote the same day as the Ooma....and have returned it already (just too much for a 72 year old to deal with). But I think I can handle this Ooma.......
#85529 by jerryb2339
Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:28 am
lbmofo wrote:You don't need DSL splitters anywhere; they are used on lines that have DSL signal present to reduce noise on phones.

Hi. So I bought the splitter and I re-did the wiring. And now I have no DSL. I assumed I made a mistake in the wiring (I disconnected the blue wires, put orange to the red screw and orange stripe to the green screw). So I don't know what to do
#85536 by rostedo
Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:05 am
murphy wrote: A second way is to connect the DSL signal to line 2 in your house wiring and leave line 1 disconnected from the outside world. The only problem with this approach is that it leaves a lot of unused wire connected to the DSL signal which may cause some signal corruption.

A good warning. We did this with our unshielded POTS wiring as a quick fix when we switched to at&t DSL-only and moved the land line number to Ooma. Quick and usable, but we do get some intermittent buzzing on the analog line (L1). We're running DSL and the Hub/Scout digital signals on L2 (Yellow/Black) and the phone-out from the Scout feeds L1 (Red/Green) for the analog phones installed around the house (Hub phone-out is to FAX). Buzzing doesn't occur when phones are connected directly to the Scout, so it is almost certainly being generated in the wiring. Putting the digital signals on a separate shielded line and using the existing POTS wires only for analog voice and FAX will likely fix this... that's the plan anyway.