Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#85429 by Dylane
Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:12 am
I've had Ooma for about a year and everything is working perfectly, but I need to access my wireless router* and realize that the IP address seems to have been changed by Ooma.

Here is my setup.

DSL modem/router (combo unit) --> Ooma --> wireless router (I think this is currently setup as a wireless access point since the DSL modem has router capabilities built in and I couldn't seem to get it to work in bridge mode).

I can connect via the browser to the setup page for the modem and for Ooma. I've run the arp command to see what is connected to my network, but the MAC for the wireless router is not listed. Any ideas of how I can find the IP for the wireless?
#85432 by murphy
Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:41 am
I am unclear what you are asking.

Do you want to know what your external IP address is?
That is the IP address that has been assigned to the modem/router by your ISP.

http://whatismyip.com

will tell you what it is.

The Status page in Ooma setup will tell you the IP address that has been assigned to Ooma by the modem router.
Change the least significant number group of that IP address to 1 and that is the IP address of the modem/router from it's LAN side. The wireless connection is logically the same as a hardwired connection except it requires a security key to make the connection.
#85439 by Charles R
Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:07 am
murphy wrote:The wireless connection is logically the same as a hardwired connection except it requires a security key to make the connection.

Isn't everything connected to the Telo's Home Network port using its router (with DHCP by default). Which would have its IP address assigned by the Telo? A list of them are displayed and can be configured by plugging your PC (Mac) directly into the Home Network port. Along with numerous other options.
Last edited by Charles R on Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:22 am, edited 4 times in total.
#85440 by Dylane
Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:07 am
Sorry I wasn't clear. I'll try again, my apologies if I'm using any terms incorrectly.

I have 3 devices:
1) DSL modem and router combo box (with no wireless)
2) Ooma
3) A Buffalo wireless router (that I think is only working as a WAP, but not 100% sure on that as it was a long time ago that I set this up).

I want the internal IP of the Buffalo so that I can access the configuration page via a browser.

If I do an ipconfig the default Gateway is the 172.35.27.1 which takes me to the Ooma config page. The modem/router still has a 192 IP address, and I can connect to the configuration through the browser just fine. I can not find any trace of the Buffalo, although I'm obviously connecting through it on a number of devices.

Does this clear things up at all?
#85452 by Dylane
Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:16 am
Charles R wrote:
murphy wrote:The wireless connection is logically the same as a hardwired connection except it requires a security key to make the connection.

Isn't everything connected to the Telo's Home Network port using its router (with DHCP by default). Which would have its IP address assigned by the Telo? A list of them are displayed and can be configured by plugging your PC (Mac) directly into the Home Network port. Along with numerous other options.

I missed this earlier, but I'm not sure I understand, are you saying that I need to have my PC directly plugged into the Telo to see the list of IPs that the Telo has assigned, or only if I want to configure them? I'm working remotely, so I don't have physical access at the moment.
#85455 by Dylane
Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:36 am
Thanks, but what exactly would I be looking for in ipconfig /all? The default gateway IP is for the Ooma, and I don't see anything else that looks promising. The Buffalo (pre-Ooma) had been set to 192.168.1.2. I tried 192.168.11.1 with no luck.
#85456 by murphy
Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:47 am
Dylane wrote:Thanks, but what exactly would I be looking for in ipconfig /all? The default gateway IP is for the Ooma, and I don't see anything else that looks promising. The Buffalo (pre-Ooma) had been set to 192.168.1.2. I tried 192.168.11.1 with no luck.

Try 192.168.1.1

Can you create a block diagram of how things are connected together.
As they say, a picture is worth a 1000 words.
#85457 by Dylane
Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:52 am
murphy wrote:
Dylane wrote:Thanks, but what exactly would I be looking for in ipconfig /all? The default gateway IP is for the Ooma, and I don't see anything else that looks promising. The Buffalo (pre-Ooma) had been set to 192.168.1.2. I tried 192.168.11.1 with no luck.

Try 192.168.1.1

192.168.1.1 is my modem/router

Can you create a block diagram of how things are connected together.
As they say, a picture is worth a 1000 words.

Wall --> DSL Modem/Router --> Ooma --> Buffalo --> Everything else (computers, Xbox, NAS, etc...)
#85460 by murphy
Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:05 pm
I suspect that both routers are issuing addresses in the same subnet (192.168.1.x). That will not work. The two routers must issue addresses in different subnets.

Disconnect the Buffalo's WAN port.
Connect a non-wireless computer to a Buffalo LAN port.
Open a command prompt.
Type

ipconfig /all

Locate the line that says
Default Gateway xx.xx.xx.xx
That is the IP address of the Buffalo.
If it's 192.168.1.1, change the DHCP table in that router to be 192.168.2.x since you have already stated that the other router is also 192.168.1.x.