Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#85166 by ciamarie
Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:16 pm
For about the last 24 hours the blue tab on my ooma hub very briefly goes red, I can hear the disconnect sort of 'click' that it went offline. The dsl and internet indicator lights on the modem/router are green, so I don't think that's the issue. I did have to have some ports opened on the new router (actiontec) back in February when I got it, since the hub kept disconnecting then. But everything has worked great since then. Until last night it was exactly 5:30pm when it happened the first time, then again about an hour later.

I've been at my computer (and near the hub and router) most of today and it happened at exactly 1:00pm, then again at 2:25, 3:36p and the last time about 10 minutes ago at 4:02p -- going by my computer time, US Pacific time zone, and yes I'm keeping track. :D

How would I know if it's getting software updates? And how the heck long should that take? The outages are very brief.

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions what to do or check.
#85167 by thunderbird
Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:31 pm
ciamarie wrote:For about the last 24 hours the blue tab on my ooma hub very briefly goes red, I can hear the disconnect sort of 'click' that it went offline. The dsl and internet indicator lights on the modem/router are green, so I don't think that's the issue. I did have to have some ports opened on the new router (actiontec) back in February when I got it, since the hub kept disconnecting then. But everything has worked great since then. Until last night it was exactly 5:30pm when it happened the first time, then again about an hour later.

I've been at my computer (and near the hub and router) most of today and it happened at exactly 1:00pm, then again at 2:25, 3:36p and the last time about 10 minutes ago at 4:02p -- going by my computer time, US Pacific time zone, and yes I'm keeping track. :D

How would I know if it's getting software updates? And how the heck long should that take? The outages are very brief.

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions what to do or check.

I sure hope you didn't get a lightening strike power surge. I haven't heard of a firmware update for the Ooma HuB. But if you did get one it should be done by now.

Remove power from the Ooma Hub for fifteen minutes. The repower the Ooma hub and see what happens.
#85172 by ciamarie
Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:15 pm
Thanks for the reply. I don't think there was any lightning involved, but we did have a power outage a couple of nights ago. But the hub wasn't having an issues until about 13 hours after power came back on? At any rate, I did just unplug both ends of the hub's power, waited about 15 minutes and plugged it back in, and also powered off the router while I was at it. The hub is plugged into a newer surge-protector strip. The strip is newer than the hub which is about 1.5 years now I think.

I'll keep an eye on it, and get back in about 24 hours or so...
#85204 by ciamarie
Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:32 pm
I've begun to suspect the issue with the Ooma hub (core, with a scout) is perhaps due to heat. I'm in eastern Washington and we've been hitting about 90F the last few days and the tab going red appears to happen in the late afternoon; which is just when it's the hottest, especially in the room I have it in. I have window a/c in the other room, and I have a fan that manages to get some cool air back here, but there's a noticeable difference when I go from one room to the other.

I have ooma set up with dsl, I recently was given a 2nd DLink dsl modem/router which I wanted as a back-up, and the one I'm using in the hot office is a combo wireless modem/router (actiontec). I connected the Dlink router to a phone jack in the room with the a/c, but they don't seem to want to share the dsl signal. The actiontec router loses it's internet light if the Dlink one in the other room has the internet light on. So I've been researching if it's possible to have 2 routers share a dsl signal on 2 different phone jacks, and it doesn't seem to be possible. I thought it might work by putting one in bridge mode, or something... but that appears to only be possible if I have them physically connected.

If someone knows how it can be done, please pass on the details! Or if I move the ooma to the DLink router in the other room, I lose my internet in the office. I may look into getting my desktop pc a wireless connection instead of wired, but my budget is really tight right now so I'd prefer not to have to spend extra money... I may just use a long ethernet cable to move the ooma to a spot a bit closer to cooler air for the next month or so, then put it back where it is in the office when the weather cools down some. If that doesn't help, then it's back for more advice perhaps!
#85209 by thunderbird
Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:22 pm
Ciamarie:
Your never said weather your Ooma Hub is still disconnecting. If it is, for testing swap the two modem/routers, then test.

The reason that you can't connect two Modem/Routers, is that the Internet provider only issues one IP address. If you want to connect another Modem/Router, you have to purchase another IP address or Service.

I would go with the long Ethernet cable.
#85239 by ciamarie
Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:10 pm
Right after I posted the message about suspecting that the issue was the heat, the tab went red and stayed red for over a minute, at which point I pulled the power out. Then I pouted for a few minutes and decided to move the whole thing out to the room with the a/c. I decided to move it with the actiontec wireless router since it was already configured with the correct ports forwarded, etc. Plus, I at least wanted to have some internet access via wireless for my old laptop on which I'm typing this.

The hub seems to be pretty happy today in it's new location, I haven't seen a red tab all day, or actually since I moved it yesterday. I wanted to wait a bit to see how it went before I posted a progress report. Due to the change in location for the router, I got on ebay today and ordered a wireless adapter for my pc. I'm in an apartment and not keen on trying to run that much wire or try to walk over a really long ethernet cable and at $13 the adapter is a viable solution. I went to Best Buy and Staples first, and their selection and prices were not great, especially compared to what I found on ebay! I use Linux, so I did some research first, thankfully...

For now anyway, it looks like 'problem solved'. I'll report back if that changes or with any notable updates. Thanks for the advice!