Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#84801 by zten
Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:56 am
My Warranty expires Aug 26. I got an email saying an extension is available for 2 years for $39. I had a hardware failure back in dec but have been OK since. Review the forum, I see a mixed bag of HW complaints. I'm wondering what the latest thoughts are out there on extending the warranty? I have a UPS protecting the device since I think my last failure was related to a power outage. Am I OK since I have that? I saw another post where someone on the Ooma customer support line was told the device is expected to last 2 years? That would be quite poor in my opinion. Is this true? Thanks for the honest replies.
#84806 by lbmofo
Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:19 am
Not sure about real life expectancy but earlier Ooma business model expected their devices to last 5 years.
#84810 by thunderbird
Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:17 am
zten wrote:My Warranty expires Aug 26. I got an email saying an extension is available for 2 years for $39. I had a hardware failure back in dec but have been OK since. Review the forum, I see a mixed bag of HW complaints. I'm wondering what the latest thoughts are out there on extending the warranty? I have a UPS protecting the device since I think my last failure was related to a power outage. Am I OK since I have that? I saw another post where someone on the Ooma customer support line was told the device is expected to last 2 years? That would be quite poor in my opinion. Is this true? Thanks for the honest replies.

For two years I'd pay the $39. It would be worth the peace of mind.
#84850 by zten
Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:57 am
I just re-read the email. Actually its $40 per year for two years. So 80 bucks. I think I'm gonna roll the dice now that I have the UPS and I turned off the backlight LEDs to make the device run cooler. Thanks for the input.
#93897 by zten
Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:00 am
So I rolled the dice and got snake eyes. My ooma died. I get the dreaded, solid lit "1" and "2" upon power cycle and boot never proceeds from there. I've even got my telo powered from a UPS becuase it seemed from these threads that it is extremely sensitive to power surges/outages. This my second telo to die. First was under warranty but second was not.

Aside from getting the extended warranty, is there anything else I can do to make the system more robust? Is there anything ooma is doing to make the telo more robust ? If the Business Case plans on 5 year longevity, ooma must be making some good up side profit as it really seems like there is designed in obsolescence for this device, at least from my personal experience.
#93899 by murphy
Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:57 am
Did you verify that the power brick will put out 5 volts at full load?
I've repaired several power bricks for other devices (modems, swutches) for friends that had the capacitors vent and drop the voltage too low for the device to work properly.
The Telo power brick is rated at 5 volts and 2 amps.
That's a 2.5 ohm 10 watt resistor to provide full load.
Four 10 ohm 2 watt resistors in parallel should work long enough to take a voltage measurement before they get too hot.
#93900 by Cyberchat
Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:27 am
zten wrote:So I rolled the dice and got snake eyes. My ooma died. I get the dreaded, solid lit "1" and "2" upon power cycle and boot never proceeds from there. I've even got my telo powered from a UPS becuase it seemed from these threads that it is extremely sensitive to power surges/outages. This my second telo to die. First was under warranty but second was not.

Aside from getting the extended warranty, is there anything else I can do to make the system more robust? Is there anything ooma is doing to make the telo more robust ? If the Business Case plans on 5 year longevity, ooma must be making some good up side profit as it really seems like there is designed in obsolescence for this device, at least from my personal experience.

zten,

When faced with the extended warranty purchase decision, in my case I chose to purchase the extended warranty to achieve the robustness you desire.

It seems, in life, where man is involved in the creation/generation of something "almost everything" has designed-in obsolescence, including ourselves! I don't believe OOMA has necessarily designed-in obsolescence into the Telo. It seems to me that the evidence points to a software/microcode bug which they haven't yet isolated and/or repaired.

When I became an OOMA customer almost two years ago, like you I perused this forum about the reliability/longivity of the Telo device when making a decision about purchasing the extended warranty. The evidence of quite a few failures of the Telo between 18 to 24 months told me purchasing the extended warranty was a good idea. I opted for the two-year extension.

At 18 months my Telo manifested the famous symptom of the frozen 1 & 2 lights after rebooting. The reboot was concurrent with a power outage but at that time my Telo was powered through a UPS system so the Telo really didn't experience any effect of the power outage. It did experience an interruption of its transactional interaction with OOMA's servers because of an "external" loss of my internet service (all of my internal network equipment was also on the UPS). I manually rebooted the Telo after all other aspects of my internet service were up again and it was at this point that the Telo manifested the famous symptom of the frozen 1 & 2 lights after rebooting.

I've been technically involved with computers, networks, electronic devices, ..., for most of my working career. From my experiences with the Telo I don't believe the so-called "bricking" or the "symptom of the frozen 1 & 2 lights after rebooting" are necessarily indications of the Telo device having been damaged electronically making the device forever unusable. In a normal Telo boot it passes through the phase of having the 1 & 2 lights on for 15-30 seconds but then following a lot of interaction with OOMA's network servers it continues on through its full boot-up sequence and returns to normal service. When the Telo fails, it still initiates the boot-up sequence but it then gets stuck on the 1 & 2 light step of the boot-up. The indications are that the Telo is still programatically active and executing its microcode but its unable to proceed beyond a certain point in its boot-up sequence probably due to a synchronization problem.

I believe the evidence indicates that the Telo has a software/microcode bug in its management of the "sequence/state" of its transactions. I believe when it gets stuck on the frozen 1 & 2 lights after rebooting its waiting on an event which will never happen (probably an interaction with the OOMA servers) because the Telo and the OOMA servers are "out of syncronization with each other.

The reason I believe this is that a lot of the failures of the Telo have been reported to have happened concurrent with some external network event, i.e., a power outage, loss of internet service, ....

Of course this is all speculation on my part and just an interesting (to me) mental exercise. The fact is that the Telo when in this 1& 2 frozen light state is useless to us as consumers and requires replacement because OOMA apparently has no built-in feature to remotely correct the problem. I do suspect, however, that when defective Telo units are returned to OOMA that their microcode and writable-storage areas are refreshed and the units are returned to service.

Thus, to me as an OOMA customer the extended warranty purchase seems to be the least risky option (financially). In my case, the selection of the extended warranty option paid off.
#93903 by zten
Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:45 am
Thanks for the insightful post. I too am an electronics guy. Univ of Illinois Campaign BSEE 1989. Been making cell phones for the last 23 years.

I agree on the theory. It is very possibly what is going on. And it explains the false diagnosis of a power supply glitch issue. However, this does not seem to be 10 or 100 PPM problem. It seems to be more like even a 10,000 PPM problem. Why hasn't ooma fixed this? When I talked to them they made no mention of a known issue here but it simply must be. There are too many people commenting on it. They should have given me a better deal on a replacement. All they would give me is a new box for $179 or a refurbished box for $139. I asked for escalation and I got a manager who was then willing to give me a refurb box for $129 and he threw in the BT adapter for free. I get one year on the warranty but will for sure get the warranty extension now......

One more comment. I noticed your auto signature. I am exactly the same. I originally had modem==>telo==>router but was getting a soft failure at least twice a month -- I would have to power cycle the box to get my service back. A few months ago I switched to modem==>router==>telo and was happy ever since, that is until this hard failure.
#93904 by zten
Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:50 am
murphy wrote:Did you verify that the power brick will put out 5 volts at full load?
I've repaired several power bricks for other devices (modems, swutches) for friends that had the capacitors vent and drop the voltage too low for the device to work properly.
The Telo power brick is rated at 5 volts and 2 amps.
That's a 2.5 ohm 10 watt resistor to provide full load.
Four 10 ohm 2 watt resistors in parallel should work long enough to take a voltage measurement before they get too hot.

I will try this too. Or maybe as a first step I will just try the new power supply that comes with the new Telo I ordered. I'll try it on the bad box. I don't have a DMM or any power resistors at home.... :o

I'll bet SW corruption is more a more likely cause, however.