Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#84347 by bluetang
Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:08 am
I have been using my ooma telo for 8 months (with frequent sound issues: distorted voices and sound cutting out) but as of today my ooma is destroying the speed and latency of my internet connection. Normally, I have 15+Mbps down and 1.5 Mbps up but right now i am lucky if I can even get .5 Mbps and my latency is 1000+ms when the ooma is connected. And... If I plug my desktop directly into the ooma I cant even access the internet at all. Oddly enough I am still able to make and receive phone calls.

I am connected modem>router>ooma and I have tried modem>ooma>router and modem>ooma>desktop (no router) and they all work approximately the same (terrible or not at all). To make things even more confusing, after a while I gave up and reconnected everything as it was when the trouble started and the problem was gone.

A few hours later the issue started up again and I can't get to the advanced setup option to make any changes to my telo.

Any ideas?
#84348 by thunderbird
Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:51 am
bluetang:
First:
To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Reboot your Modem, when the Modem is done booting reboot your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Reboot your Modem. When the Modem is done booting reboot your Router, when the Router is done booting, reboot your Ooma device.

Note: Reboot means remove power, then plug power back in for the device in the order listed above.

Second:
Power off the Ooma device for fifteen minutes. This allows time for the Ooma servers to reload your Ooma profile. Then repower the Ooma device and test.

Third:
Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: ________________
Upload Seed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________

Fourth:
What is the brand name and model number of your Modem?

Who is your Internet provider?

Fifth:
What is the version of your Ooma Telo firmware?
Check for the version of Ooma Telo firmware that you have by Dialing *#*#001. The firmware version audio comes out of your Ooma Telo Speaker after dialing *#*#001 in one of your phones.

The latest Ooma Telo Firmware Update 47785, is just starting to be "pushed" out to the Ooma Telo customers, by Ooma. It takes about three weeks to be downloaded to all Ooma Telo customers.
#84352 by bluetang
Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:41 am
Thanks for the reply thunderbird

1-Done. Won't work on my desktop but it seems fine on my laptop...strange.

2-I unplugged the ooma for 30 min and it seemed to fix the problem temporarily (but I had not done #1 yet)

3-Download Speed: ___15860kbps
Upload Seed: __927kbps
Download Consistency of Service __29%
Upload Consistency of Service ___99%
Maximum TCP Delay __20ms
Jitter you server __0.5ms
Jitter server you ___0.7ms
Packet loss: you server__0
Packet loss: server you __0
Packet discards ____0
Packets out of order ____0
Estimated MOS score ___4.2

4-Arris TM602G on Time Warner Roadrunner

5-My telo firmware is 45073
#84354 by thunderbird
Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:09 am
bluetang:
Your Download Consistency of Service __29% is very low. It should be around 80% or higher. This is probably your problem area.

With your setup Modem-Ooma-Router, the Ooma device probably needs the Ooma Setup Quality of Service settings adjusted.

But to verify this, temporarily try connecting your setup Modem-Router-Ooma and test. If this works, which has helped several other people lately, you may want to leave your setup connected Modem-Router-Ooma, and do nothing else.

But I am going to post some different ways to adjust QoS, if you decide that is what you want to try adjusting QoS.

Setting Quality of Service:

Use this step ONLY if your Ooma setup is Modem-Ooma-Router:
Access the Ooma Setup Advanced page. Under Quality of Service set both the Upstream Internet speed and Down Stream Internet speed to 90% (before the last firmware update it used to be 80%) of the measured speeds as measured by http://www.speedtest.net/. Click on Update. Then test making and receiving calls.

Or

For both Modem-Ooma-Router or Modem-Router-Ooma connections:
Others, especially with higher Internet speeds, have reported that this has helped them:
Access the Ooma Setup Advanced page. Under Quality of Service set both the Upstream Internet speed and Down Stream Internet speed to Zero. Click on Update. Then test making and receiving calls.

Or

Still others have reported that this works for them:
For both Modem-Ooma-Router or Modem-Router-Ooma connections:
Access the Ooma Setup Advanced page. Under Quality of Service set both the Upstream Internet speed and Down Stream Internet speed to a higher value, about 1000 Kbps higher, than the maximum measured speeds as measured by http://www.speedtest.net/. Click on Update. Then test making and receiving calls.

After making these adjustments, and if you still have problems, post those problems here and I try to give you some more suggestions.

Some of the reasons why your Desktop computer won't open Ooma Setup:
One:
The Desktop computer Local Area Connection is configured to use a Static IP address. Normally it's configured to the Automatic setting.
Two:
Some times firewall and virus software will prevent the connection.
Three:
Wi-Fi wasn't temporarily turned off in the Desktop computer.
#84448 by bluetang
Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:50 pm
The network slowdown seems to have vanished (came from no where and is gone again...) but I am still getting horrible sound quality (i can't understand almost anything that callers are saying to me). I have tried all of the options you suggested and none seem to improve my situation. All of this got dramatically worse around a month or two ago. Anything else i can try?
#84458 by thunderbird
Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:43 pm
bluetang wrote:The network slowdown seems to have vanished (came from no where and is gone again...) but I am still getting horrible sound quality (i can't understand almost anything that callers are saying to me). I have tried all of the options you suggested and none seem to improve my situation. All of this got dramatically worse around a month or two ago. Anything else i can try?

Did you try temporarily connecting your setup Modem-Router-Ooma?
#84483 by thunderbird
Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:18 am
bluetang wrote:Yes, i tried all three set-ups. My internet connection was always a problem but now the voice distortion makes using my phone useless whenever it occurs...which is probably 1 out of 5 calls.

Download Consistency of Service __29%........Should be around 80% or higher.
Jitter server you ___0.7ms......................Should be less than 5ms.
Your problem is probably with your Internet provider's signal coming into your home.

Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ again, but only when you are having Ooma phone voice quality problems. This time click on the Graph tab at the left side of the window. Go down to the lower left side of the page, where it says Plot. Make sure Download speed is selected.

Looking at the red graph line, if the red graph lines are evenly spaced and the up and down strokes are even going across the page from left to right, and are placed normally in the lower quarter of the graph page, this is normal.

But if some of the red graph lines are widely spaced, and some of the red graph lines go to the top of the graph page, and look like they would go right out through the top of your computer screen if possible, than there is a problem with the Internet provider signal or the modem.

Do the same for Upload speed.
#84488 by murphy
Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:10 am
thunderbird wrote:
bluetang wrote:Yes, i tried all three set-ups. My internet connection was always a problem but now the voice distortion makes using my phone useless whenever it occurs...which is probably 1 out of 5 calls.

Download Consistency of Service __29%........Should be around 80% or higher.
Jitter server you ___0.7ms......................Should be less than 5ms.
Your problem is probably with your Internet provider's signal coming into your home.

Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ again, but only when you are having Ooma phone voice quality problems. This time click on the Graph tab at the left side of the window. Go down to the lower left side of the page, where it says Plot. Make sure Download speed is selected.

Looking at the red graph line, if the red graph lines are evenly spaced and the up and down strokes are even going across the page from left to right, and are placed normally in the lower quarter of the graph page, this is normal.

But if some of the red graph lines are widely spaced, and some of the red graph lines go to the top of the graph page, and look like they would go right out through the top of your computer screen if possible, than there is a problem with the Internet provider signal or the modem.

Do the same for Upload speed.

Last time I checked 0.7 ms was way less than 5 ms.