Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#84221 by DD85
Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:35 am
Does Ooma support the reverse 911 system? I dropped my landline carrier when I signed up with Ooma, so my Telo does not have landline integration. I am currently using the basic package.
#84230 by kdlh2
Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:41 am
What do you mean the reverse 911 service? This is usually a 3rd party solution, not part of the actual 911 system. Calling it "reverse 911" is misleading. As long as you are signed up with the phone number you use for Ooma, it should work, but I would verify this with whoever manages the reverse 911 system for your jurisdiction.
#84237 by DD85
Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:27 pm
I have never heard this system called anything but reverse 911. As I understand it, the reverse 911 system allows the 911 call center to notify residents and businesses by telephone. In the event of an emergency, an operator in the 911 center can identify the affected neighborhood or region of the County/City and record a message that describes the situation and recommends the protective actions to take. The reverse 911 system will automatically call out to all listed telephone numbers within that geographic area and deliver the recorded message. If phone lines are busy, the system will attempt to redial those numbers a predetermined number of times to make contact. If an answering machine picks up the call, the emergency message will be left on the machine.

I'm just wanting to verify that a VoIP system like Ooma will work with reverse 911 calls. Or is this only available to landline connections.
#84238 by Lakeo
Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:42 pm
You raise a good question.

I'd call your 911 dispatch and do two things.
1) Arrange to call 911 and make sure they are seeing your correct address and phone number.
2) Question them about the reverse 911. It may operate differently in different locations. Currently in our city we have to register to be on the calling list.

Let the forum know.

lakeo
#84242 by kdlh2
Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:32 pm
DD85 wrote:I have never heard this system called anything but reverse 911. As I understand it, the reverse 911 system allows the 911 call center to notify residents and businesses by telephone. In the event of an emergency, an operator in the 911 center can identify the affected neighborhood or region of the County/City and record a message that describes the situation and recommends the protective actions to take. The reverse 911 system will automatically call out to all listed telephone numbers within that geographic area and deliver the recorded message. If phone lines are busy, the system will attempt to redial those numbers a predetermined number of times to make contact. If an answering machine picks up the call, the emergency message will be left on the machine.

I'm just wanting to verify that a VoIP system like Ooma will work with reverse 911 calls. Or is this only available to landline connections.

This is correct, but it has nothing to do with the 911 system itself per se. There are several companies that offer this type of system. The phone numbers may come from the list of phone numbers associated to that particular PSAP, but the calls are not made over the 911 system. They usually come from some type of call center. For example, my county uses OneCall Now for reverse 911 and their call center is in another state. The 911 dispatchers initiate the reverse 911 callout through this company's system. I would just ask that your phone number be added as if it wasn't previously associated with a POTS line, they probably won't have it and/or keep it in the system.
#84269 by DD85
Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:01 am
Lakeo wrote:You raise a good question.

I'd call your 911 dispatch and do two things.
1) Arrange to call 911 and make sure they are seeing your correct address and phone number.
2) Question them about the reverse 911. It may operate differently in different locations. Currently in our city we have to register to be on the calling list.

Let the forum know.

lakeo

So, I contacted my local 911 call center and they correctly identified my address and phone number. However, I was told that in my area that only landline phones can receive the reverse 911 calls (no VoIP or cell phones). They went on to say they are looking into creating a database where you could 'register' an address and number so they could call the non-landline phones. No idea as to when this will be available though.
#84275 by harry12
Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:17 pm
Our local civil subdivision office sent out a call about two months ago. It had a weird "robotic" attention-getter of a sound to start with and went on to announce how "they" could now call and let everyone know "what was what". I do have OOMA - no land line.
#84280 by Lakeo
Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:52 pm
Thanks for your input to my post DD85. I'm now going to double check with my 911 dispatch, which is the local police department, to see how they are now handling reverse 911 to VOIP customers.

I think this whole Reverse 911 thing is a work in progress. If they can't deal with the VOIP customers it will be worthless. Besides OOMA, think of all the Cable VOIP customers who also won't get R911 service.

lakeo
#84292 by Lakeo
Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:30 pm
Talked again to our local Police Dept. that handles 911 calls.

As I mentioned earlier, to get a R911 call we have to register our phone numbers with the City's "Code Red" program. The PD indicated they have set the program up this way specifically so that residents can register landline, VOIP, and cell phone numbers.

Makes sense, since R911 calling of only landline numbers will probably only get a third of any areas residents.

I'd suggest that any OOMA users that are interested in R911 give their local 911 dispatch a call and see what, if any, program they have in place to deal with VOIP and cell phone numbers.

lakeo
#84293 by Bobby B
Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:48 pm
You may be able to sign up for reverse 911 service on your city or county website, if they offer it.

For example, Santa Clara and San Diego Counties offer a website where you can sign up for reverse 911 service.

Lakeo wrote:I'd suggest that any OOMA users that are interested in R911 give their local 911 dispatch a call and see what, if any, program they have in place to deal with VOIP and cell phone numbers.