Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#84119 by 0oma
Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:26 am
I have placed my ooma telo behind my linksys wrt54g (dd-wrt firewall - Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/10/09) vpn).

The problem is every once and a while my entire LAN stops being able to communicate with the outside network. I still can ping my router however just not outside addresses (e.g. google.com). This persists until I power cycle everything on my network (modem, router, ooma).

Turned off QoS on the ooma.
Have tried with proper QoS/port forwarding set on the dd-wrt router. Have tried without.
Ooma is set to request a static IP outside the router's range to prevent conflict, the rest of my network gets the ip from DHCP daemon running on the router.

Could this be ooma's built in DHCP responding to requests on another subnet mask?

This is really a deal breaker for me. I do not want to have ooma in front of my router and the DHCP/QoS settings that are built into it are pretty much useless. Doesn't ooma understand that most people who use these services understand basic security requirements such as firewalls?
#84126 by murphy
Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:10 am
There are at least 15 different hardware revisions for the WRT54G and all of them are obsolete. Did you load the version of DD-WRT that is recommended for your hardware revision level?

Your problem sounds like a memory leak where all of the available memory in the router gets used and no more is available for the next request so it goes into an infinite loop waiting for the memory request to be satisfied.

I am running the Linksys E3000 with DD-WRT version DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/13/11) std-usb-nas - build 16785.
I have two Telos and a hub and about 30 other internet appliances running through the router with no problems of any kind.
#84127 by 0oma
Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:27 am
sorry i am running the wrt54GL router not wrt54g, which only has one firmware for both revisions.

should i consider reflashing the router? would that fix the memory leak?

thanks!
#84128 by murphy
Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:08 am
Reflashing with the same version of firmware will not fix a memory leak. A memory leak is the result of a coding error by the person(s) that wrote the firmware. It means that when a block of memory is requested from the pool it is not returned to the pool when it is no longer needed.

I see 6 build numbers with one marked as recommended. There are 8 versions in the recommended list ignoring the two initial flash versions. Which version did you install. I would try the

dd-wrt.v24_std_generic.bin

version if that is not what you are running.
#84256 by 0oma
Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:07 pm
I don't think its a memory leak in the router firmware as it has never done this before... Any other possibilities?

Could the ooma telo be faulty?
#84257 by thunderbird
Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:53 pm
0oma wrote:I have placed my ooma telo behind my linksys wrt54g (dd-wrt firewall - Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/10/09) vpn).

The problem is every once and a while my entire LAN stops being able to communicate with the outside network. I still can ping my router however just not outside addresses (e.g. google.com). This persists until I power cycle everything on my network (modem, router, ooma).

This sound more like a Modem or Router problem, than an Ooma problem. But Ooma MAC address Spoofing might be causing this problem.

To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing by doing the following:
If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Reboot your Modem. When the Modem is done booting reboot your Router, when the Router is done booting, reboot your Ooma device.

The above procedure should rule out any effect that the Ooma device has on your Modem or Router, except a slight extra load.

0oma wrote:Turned off QoS on the ooma.
Have tried with proper QoS/port forwarding set on the dd-wrt router. Have tried without.
Ooma is set to request a static IP outside the router's range to prevent conflict, the rest of my network gets the ip from DHCP daemon running on the router.?

For the Modem-Router-Ooma Configuration, Ooma suggests that the QoS Upstream and Downsteam settings be set to Zero.

0oma wrote:Could this be ooma's built in DHCP responding to requests on another subnet mask??

Probably not.
If you continue to have problems:

Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: ________________
Upload Seed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________