Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#84106 by mtnmedic
Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:28 am
I have multi-ring enabled so that incoming calls through Ooma also ring my cell phone. Works nicely. However, is there any way I can differentiate between the first line and the second line? I don't care so much about the primary (first) line, but I do care about knowing if it's the second line calling through to my cell. Any way to tell or set up so I can tell?
#84109 by Lakeo
Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:14 pm
You can set the ring pattern by incoming OOMA phone number, for phones connected to your Telo, at My OOMA, Preferences, Phone Number, Ring Pattern.

I have not tried it, but assume that the same ring pattern will be transferred to your cell phone. Give it a try.

Let me know if it works.

lakeo
#84110 by mtnmedic
Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:30 pm
That seems to make sense but, alas, I'm hearing impaired and I often don't hear the cell ring at times when it's sequestered in my hip pouch. My hearing aids are Bluetooth enabled and connected to my cell phone so when I'm wearing them it does ring through there. My suspicion is that the Bluetooth profile won't pass through the distinctive ring. But perhaps I can figure something out at the cell phone end with its call options. Normally, I look at the screen whenever there's an incoming call, so I was sort of hoping for a visual indicator of some kind.
#84113 by Lakeo
Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:55 pm
I'm not a cell phone expert, but after I sent my post it occurred to me that most cell phones have software built in that controls the ring tone, so they probably wouldn't pass through the ring pattern generate by OOMA like a cordless phone will.

lakeo
#84114 by mtnmedic
Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:19 pm
Yeah I just discovered that. Fortunately, my EVO 4G allows for different ring tones to be assigned to individual callers. Also, I didn't realise that my 2nd line was still "shared" with the Telo base. So, I assigned the 2nd line to the Telo Handset and now, I believe I'm set. Calling from that handset to my cell phone generates a unique ring tone and shows up as the 2nd line. The BIG test is if someone calls THAT number while I'm out and about with my cell phone and seeing if THAT rings through just the same. As far as I know, it should. That way, I can at least tell it's the second line calling.
#84115 by Lakeo
Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:10 pm
I think if someone calls your second number, and it forwards to your cell phone, your cell will see the caller id of the caller and not the OOMA number which is necessary to get the selective ring on your cell.

lakeo