Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#83646 by JoePort
Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:30 pm
I'm looking for suggestions for a 2 line phone that will work with Ooma Telo. I have an AT&T 993 2-line phone that worked well with Vonage on Line 1 of the 993, and Comcast Voice on Line 2. I've discontinued Vonage, and have Ooma connected to Line 1 of the 993. I can't use the 993 with Ooma and Comcast ... a loud buzz. Even without the 2nd line in use, the Ooma produces a persistent hum. I just received an email from AT&T support saying that Ooma utilizes a digital signal and the 993 is only for analog lines.

I'd like a 2-line phone on which I can use my Ooma line and Comcast line. Any suggestions?
#83653 by murphy
Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:31 am
Ooma produces an analog signal on it's Phone port. The fact that it uses digital communication over the internet is not the problem.

Does the AT&T phone have it's own power supply or is it grabbing it's power from the phone lines? If the latter case is true, it belongs in a trash can.

Hum is usually caused by a ground loop.

I have two different 5.8 GHz Panasonic cordless phone systems, a two line and a four line that work fine with Ooma.
I also have three wired two line desk phones that also work well with Ooma. Hub is on line 1 and Telo is on line 2.

Any of the DECT 6 cordless phones should work.
#83665 by JoePort
Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:04 am
I suspected that the AT&T tech was wrong about the signal not being compatible with the AT&T phone ... thanks for confirming.

The AT&T phone does have its own power supply. I've changed the AC outlet that I'm using, separated the Ooma from the phone, and basically done everything I can to change and/or reconfigure the setup, without eliminating the hum. I think it's just a problem with this phone. I've hooked up my Ooma to other phones without a problem.

I've had success with Panasonic phones in the past, so your suggestion is a good one. Thanks for your response!