Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#83704 by highq
Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:16 am
jacob wrote:I tried connecting the computer directly to the home network plug on the ooma, but I'm still not able to connect to the 172.27.35.1 address in my browser.

Please try that connection again, then get a Command Prompt and run "ipconfig". What is your IP address? If it isn't 172.27.35.something, then you will never connect to 172.27.35.1. Assuming your computer normally connects via a WiFi router, disable that connection and restart the computer. Then it will get a new IP address from your ooma device which will be in the 172.27.35 network.
#83716 by EA PA
Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:35 pm
murphy wrote:
EA PA wrote: Also, the use of a power strip with as many joules of protection as you can reasonable afford will lower the probability of equipment damage.

The general recommendation is to not use a surge protected power strip with an UPS.

http://emea-en.apc.com/app/answers/deta ... s-products.

Thanks! I did not write my post clearly, what I meant to say was instead of UPS, or as an alternative to, a power strip... vs putting in series. Some folk I speak with don't seem interested in spending another 50 or 100 bucks on UPS. The power strip is sometimes a cheaper alternative to get some protection.

After reading the article,

"Surge protectors filter the power for surges and offer EMI/RFI filtering but do not efficiently distribute the power, meaning that some equipment may be deprived of the necessary amperage it requires to run properly causing your attached equipment (computer, monitor, etc) to shutdown or reboot. "

This reads to me, that as the battery starts to run down, some of the equipment will drop sooner than expected due to the design of the surge protector vs running all equipment as long as possible. So the trade off is time on battery for all vs joules of protection when in series with the UPS outlet. Is this how you interpret?