Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#83474 by kcman1651
Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:43 am
I am thinking about buying a Ooma system and have a question. I currently have two homes and would like to use my Ooma in both locations. If I install Ooma at my summer home can I move it and use it at my winter home?
#83475 by tomcat
Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:51 am
You can take it with you anywhere you have an internet connection. Just be sure when you switch locations that you update your service address in my.ooma.com so that 911 service can find you in the event of an emergency.
#83508 by phenders2
Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:49 pm
I have two homes with different area codes, have premier service, and have ported phone numbers at both to Ooma.

We just arrived at our second (summer) home and I set up Ooma.

It works for both numbers at both homes, HOWEVER, at our summer home
local calls fail because they are prefixed with the area code of our winter home.
You can use the ** prefix to initiate calls from the second number (summer). I called Ooma
to try to change the primary number to our second number, but without success yet (perhaps
with some persistence they can change it).

Seems like Ooma had not considered this 'obvious to me' situation. Seems it should be easy
to modify the Ooma software to service two homes, switching the primary and secondary number.

If anyone has a clean resolution to this, please post.

Thanks, Pete
#83510 by thunderbird
Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:13 pm
phenders2 wrote:I have two homes with different area codes, have premier service, and have ported phone numbers at both to Ooma.

We just arrived at our second (summer) home and I set up Ooma.

It works for both numbers at both homes, HOWEVER, at our summer home
local calls fail because they are prefixed with the area code of our winter home.

While on a trip to China this late winter and early spring, we took Ooma along. It was great, just like the Ooma Telo was at home. People called from the USA and didn't even know we were in China. People called from China not knowing that we were in China.

What part of the Summer Home local calls fail? Is it the outbound calls or the inbound calls?
Options and Ideas:
For outbound calls do you have ten digit calling enabled. https://my.ooma.com/system
If you dial a Summer Home local number, dial the whole number 1-xxx-xxx-xxxx. Remember that any call in the USA is free when calling outbound.
For local Summer Home Inbound callers you could add a third line with your Summer Home area code for $5 a month. https://my.ooma.com/products/addons_details/vn

phenders2 wrote:You can use the ** prefix to initiate calls from the second number (summer). I called Ooma
to try to change the primary number to our second number, but without success yet (perhaps
with some persistence they can change it).

Seems like Ooma had not considered this 'obvious to me' situation. Seems it should be easy
to modify the Ooma software to service two homes, switching the primary and secondary number.

If anyone has a clean resolution to this, please post.

Thanks, Pete
Last edited by thunderbird on Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
#83511 by tomcat
Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:13 pm
phenders2 wrote:It works for both numbers at both homes, HOWEVER, at our summer home
local calls fail because they are prefixed with the area code of our winter home.
You can use the ** prefix to initiate calls from the second number (summer). I called Ooma
to try to change the primary number to our second number, but without success yet (perhaps
with some persistence they can change it).

Pete:
There is a setting here in My Ooma https://my.ooma.com/privacy that allows you to change your default outgoing number. I don't know if this changes the actual number you're calling out on (for call routing purposes) or if it just merely changes your CallerID information. It may be worth giving it a try. If you do, please let us know what you find.

Thanks.
#83517 by lbmofo
Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:04 pm
tomcat wrote:
phenders2 wrote:It works for both numbers at both homes, HOWEVER, at our summer home
local calls fail because they are prefixed with the area code of our winter home.
You can use the ** prefix to initiate calls from the second number (summer). I called Ooma
to try to change the primary number to our second number, but without success yet (perhaps
with some persistence they can change it).

Pete:
There is a setting here in My Ooma https://my.ooma.com/privacy that allows you to change your default outgoing number. I don't know if this changes the actual number you're calling out on (for call routing purposes) or if it just merely changes your CallerID information. It may be worth giving it a try. If you do, please let us know what you find.

Thanks.

I think this is what OP was looking for....not sure what "fail" means....but outgoing callerid reflecting the number of choice would be this setting. Just remember, this takes a few minutes to stick though (5 min or so).

If "fail" means can't dial 7 digits, then this can't be solved easily with Ooma's current setup. Ooma customer service must do the primary number & 2ndary number swap. I think the easiest is to get used to 10 digit dialing. Since the cell phone days, I've always been doing 10 digits.

Enabling 10 digit dialing is here: https://my.ooma.com/system

Don't need to dial 1 anymore :)
#83520 by Lakeo
Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:45 pm
I use my ooma in two different locations. Summer/Winter.

When I originally set up my ooma, I ported a number that I used at my winter location, 760 area code, which became the primary number. My permanent home is in 503 area code, and a secondary number was assigned there.

There is one thing that I discovered while testing my 911 service that you might want to be aware of. Regardless of what outgoing caller ID you set, 911 only see's the primary number. I confirmed this with ooma a couple of months ago and they indicated it was a bug that would be fixed. No time frame was given, and I have not checked my 911 service recently to see if the issue still exists.

My 911 service at my home town police department (503 area code) did see the correct address, but did think it strange that they were seeing a 760 area code, but that it would cause them no problem.

However, since the majority of my time is spent in area code 503, and I would like all 911 information to be correct, if the bug is not fixed I will consider switching my secondary number to be the primary account number.

I would suggest to everyone that they check their 911 service to be sure they are seeing the correct address and phone number information. I called my police department ahead of time and ask if their work load allowed time for a 911 test using my voip phone system. They were very accommodating, and seemed pleased that I was interested in making sure the system worked and that they were seeing the correct information.

lakeo
#83569 by PTS
Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:04 pm
Thunderbird -

That is really cool that Ooma works over-seas in places like China!

I suppose you must never dial 911 while over-seas, otherwise the authorities in your home town will respond.
#83580 by thunderbird
Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:16 pm
PTS wrote:Thunderbird -

That is really cool that Ooma works over-seas in places like China!

I suppose you must never dial 911 while over-seas, otherwise the authorities in your home town will respond.

I could just see the authorities breaking down my front door, only to later find out the 911 call came from China. I don't think I'd ever be able to expain that one. ;)
#83676 by phenders2
Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:24 pm
Thanks for everyones input:

All inbound calls work properly at both locations, summer & winter homes with different area codes.

Changing the Privacy Preference to "Default number for outgoing calls" only changes the outbound caller ID,
not the default outbound area code. Using 10 digit calling is one option. However, our VTech phone has
an option to provide a prefix, which we set to 1<our area code><local 3 digit prefix> so now local calls
to friends simply require selecting this prefix from the phone directory, talk, followed by the 4 digit
number. Works fine.

Pete

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 10 guests