Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#83379 by kettledrum
Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:23 am
When should I start getting incoming calls on my Ooma on my ported phone #?

Last night I received email notification that my number port was complete. The email stated to power cycle the Ooma and then call your telephone number to confirm that the call rings through to the Ooma.

I followed the instructions in the email and calls to my ported number are not ringing through to the Ooma but instead are still going to my landline. I called support at 888-711-6662 and was told by the CSR that the calls won't go to the Ooma until the old line is disconnected by AT&T, and that I could go ahead and call AT&T.

It seems to me that according to the email that the Ooma should be getting calls to the ported number already? At l;east that's the way I read the email. But the phone rep indicates otherwise? Which is true? There is definitely logic to that the phone CSR said, but it seems to contradict the email I received and I don't want to screw it up. I want to make sure that I am not calling AT&T prematurely and risk losing my number if the port isn't really done yet.
#83383 by murphy
Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:44 am
Calls should start coming to Ooma as soon as the port is complete.
The port should also automatically cancel your AT&T account.

Do NOT call AT&T and cancel your account or you may lose your number.

Keep calling customer support until you get someone that knows what they are talking about.
You will know when you have the right person if they agree with the above statements.
#83548 by kettledrum
Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:21 am
That's what I suspected, but I wanted to get an expert opinion to be sure.

I called back, and this time the CSR understood the problem and put in a trouble ticket to the porting department, which only works M-F. Calls started ringing through to my Ooma early Monday afternoon.

Thanks for the help, Murphy! :)