Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#83300 by scottmemmer
Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:49 am
Hi, I am extremely frustrated at the moment. We had our Ooma working great, but had to disconnect it, and now I can't get it to work.

I bought a brand-new Cisco router that is really wonderful. It works perfectly. However, when I hook up the Ooma device correctly, as instructed (I have checked the wiring five times: this isn't the problem), the router no longer is identified by either the Ooma or my laptop. It's like it disappears.

When I spoke to Ooma support, they ran some checks for me and confirmed that the router is not being seen by the Ooma. In other words, it is as if I don't have Internet service at all. When I remove the Ooma from the loop, the wireless router works perfectly, is seen by several computers in the house, and presents no problem in accessing the Internet.

Any suggestions? I am running out of options. I am considering exchanging the Ooma for a new unit, to see if that fixes the problem.

Has anyone encountered this problem?

Please help!

Thank You, Scott
#83303 by thunderbird
Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:23 am
scottmemmer:
Remove power from the Modem, Router, Ooma, and Computer.

Temporarily connect as follows:

Modem-Router-Ooma-Computer. Modem is connected with a network cable to the WAN port of Router. Ooma Internet port is connected with a network cable to a Router LAN port. The Computer wired LAN port is connected with a network cable to the Ooma Home port.

Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in your computer if Wi-Fi is turned on.

Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, repower the Router. When the Router is done booting, repower the Ooma device. When the Ooma device is done booting, repower the Computer.

Check the Ooma device, if the Ooma device had the Ooma dial tone that's it, its working. If the Ooma device doesn’t have a dial tone, let the Ooma device boot as far as it will boot.

Type http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages should open.

Click on Internet.
If to the right of Connection type: Automatic isn't selected, Select Automatic, and click on Update Device at bottom of page.

If Connection type: is showing Automatic, Click the down arrow and select Dynamic (DHCP) and click on Update Device at bottom of page.

Remove power from the Modem, Router, Ooma, and Computer.

Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, repower the Router. When the Router is done booting, repower the Ooma device. When the Ooma device is done booting, repower the Computer.

If you selected Automatic and it didn't work, go back and select Dynamic (DHCP) and click on Update Device at bottom of page.

Remove power from everything and repower in order of connections as instructed above.

After the Ooma device starts working again, you can connect it in the order that you wish.
#83314 by scottmemmer
Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:16 am
Thunderbird:

Good news: As soon as I wired and booted up in this new configuration as you suggested, I immediately got an Ooma dialtone. It is working fine, both sending and receiving calls.

Can I leave it wired like this? If it is working okay, can I just leave it alone? I am a basic user and don't need any advanced services.

Please advise. I'm afraid to touch it, now that it is working fine.

Thank you, and I will wait once again to hear back from you.

Best,
Scott
#83316 by thunderbird
Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:26 am
scottmemmer wrote:Thunderbird:

Good news: As soon as I wired and booted up in this new configuration as you suggested, I immediately got an Ooma dialtone. It is working fine, both sending and receiving calls.

Can I leave it wired like this? If it is working okay, can I just leave it alone? I am a basic user and don't need any advanced services.

Please advise. I'm afraid to touch it, now that it is working fine.

Thank you, and I will wait once again to hear back from you.

Best,
Scott

It sounds like your system just need to be booted in the correct order, for everything to work.

Yes you can leave it connected Modem-Router-Ooma. I have mine connected that way and it works great.

Most people don't leave the computer connected to the Ooma's Home port because of file sharing and network printer problems. They connect the computer back to one of the router ports.

A very few people, when connected Modem-Router-Ooma, will have some Quality of Service problems, but with a few adjustments, those problems, in most cases can be corrected.

If you have QoS problems, just post them in this forum.
#83322 by scottmemmer
Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:48 am
I truly appreciate your help, Thunderbird. I spent HOURS on the phone with the router company trying to work this out, so I am thrilled that it is now working. I think I'll just leave it hooked up this way for the time being, unless I have problems down the road.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! I am really happy to be an Ooma customer.

Best,
Scott