Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#83402 by murphy
Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:14 am
allo wrote:The hub gets Warm- HOT as high 108 F by itself in certain areas, and that is not very good for PC components longevity.

I don't think so. I don't know what is in a Hub but modern computer components run at very high temperatures.
For example:
The cpu in my laptop is idling at 53 degrees C (127.4 degrees F).
The fans start to speed up at 72 degrees C (161.6 degrees F).
Forced shutdown happens if the cpu exceeds 100 degrees C (212 degrees F) but the fans prevent that.
#83404 by allo
Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:59 am
murphy wrote:
allo wrote:The hub gets Warm- HOT as high 108 F by itself in certain areas, and that is not very good for PC components longevity.

I don't think so. I don't know what is in a Hub but modern computer components run at very high temperatures.
For example:
The cpu in my laptop is idling at 53 degrees C (127.4 degrees F).
The fans start to speed up at 72 degrees C (161.6 degrees F).
Forced shutdown happens if the cpu exceeds 100 degrees C (212 degrees F) but the fans prevent that.

Same type of components (circuit board like one see on PC Motherboard/ VGA boards (graphic cards), etc... are used in modern technology (high tech) with specific applications/variations whether it is a PC or Cell phone, modem, router, dishwasher, space shuttle, LCD TV,...ooma devices .(obviously the boards used in high tech for airplanes is made of premium material... early space satellites had apple II PC-boards for controls)
Ooma devices (hub/ telo / scout) do not have fans or safeguards to control excessive temp... or to shut it down when it reaches a high level like more sophisticated devices (PC CPU,... )
The hub in question did not fail immediately but after an extended period of time ( 18 months) of being exposed all the time to a somewhat high temp : 95F-108F for a fragile circuit board can (without a good ventilation after a while) cause some malfunction/meltdown in some of the component(s)...
The worst enemy of high tech components is : HEAT.
An easy example: High tech boards use capacitors (condensers) to store, distribute and regulate electric charge which can be seen either made of solid states (alum) or flimsy /cheap material like cardboard... why ? COST! .... guess which one fails first ....
Attachments
Capacitors.jpg
Capacitors.jpg (13.91 KiB) Viewed 879 times
#84203 by ccsint
Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:44 pm
I think this is almost the same situation I've been posting about.

My ooma is probably toast, just like yours. I hate to go to the Telo because I'll be liable for the taxes, etc. And just like yours, it didn't last that long.

How lame. Even the upgrade program that Ooma has on their site is relatively worthless; they want the same price that Amazon charges but for a non-upgrade, and require Ooma Premier.
#84270 by ccsint
Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:30 pm
I did find out that if you upgrade to the Telo, you can keep your existing tax agreement. So I've gone this route..hopefully my new one will last longer than a year and a half.

The key for determining whether your Ooma is defective is to simply ping the setup.ooma.com IP address continuously at a DOS prompt:

PING -t SETUP.OOMA.COM

If, when your Oooma flashes Red, the pings are dropping..then you know it is not your internet connection, but the Ooma device itself which is faulty. Try replacing a network cable, but its probably just the device going bad.