Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#83254 by lismith
Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:40 am
Ooma call quality has been terrible for the last few months. I have good high-speed cable internet -> Linksys E2000 router running DD-WRT -> Ooma hub. I have qos in router set to 'premium' for the ooma. 9 calls out of 10 the person I'm talking to says I'm breaking up terribly; it's not really even usable at this point.

Another problem: In trying to correct this I tried logging into the ooma hub by connecting an ethernet cable from the home port of ooma directly to a pc. I've a laptop and a desktop; both display "network cable disconnected". I've also tried a different cable, and resetting the ooma hub to default. Is my home port fried? Is the ooma defective? I don't know what to try next... obviously I can't put the ooma hub between the modem and the router because the home port is not working.

I use voip on my cell phone too, and the call quality using wifi is excellent, so I'm positive this is NOT a problem with my internet connection.
#83255 by thunderbird
Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:44 am
lismith wrote:Ooma call quality has been terrible for the last few months. I have good high-speed cable internet -> Linksys E2000 router running DD-WRT -> Ooma hub. I have qos in router set to 'premium' for the ooma. 9 calls out of 10 the person I'm talking to says I'm breaking up terribly; it's not really even usable at this point.

Another problem: In trying to correct this I tried logging into the ooma hub by connecting an ethernet cable from the home port of ooma directly to a pc. I've a laptop and a desktop; both display "network cable disconnected". I've also tried a different cable, and resetting the ooma hub to default. Is my home port fried? Is the ooma defective? I don't know what to try next... obviously I can't put the ooma hub between the modem and the router because the home port is not working.

I use voip on my cell phone too, and the call quality using wifi is excellent, so I'm positive this is NOT a problem with my internet connection.

Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer and try.

Make sure that your computer isn't using a static IP address. For Windows XP. Right click on My Network Places and select Properties. Right click on Local Area Connection and select Properties. Under the General tab of the window that opens, scroll down to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and highlight it. Be careful to not uncheck the box in front of Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). Click on the Properties box below. In the window that opens, make sure Obtain an IP address Automatically is selected. Make sure Obtain DNS server address automatically is selected. Click Ok at the bottom of the window, and Ok at the bottom of the next window. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer. Restart the Ooma Hub. When the Hub is done booting, restart the computer with the computer connected from its wired LAN port to the Ooma Hub Home port. Type http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window.

If that doesn't work try with Internet Security and Virus protection temporarily turned off.

If that doesn't work try using another web browser.

Below are three different Quality of Service settings that have been working for the Telo. They will probably work for the Hub also.

If the Ooma Telo is connected behind the router, setting both the Upstream Internet Speed and Downstream Internet Speed to Zero often helps. Lately some people have said that this setting has worked for the modem-Ooma-router setting also.

If the Ooma Telo is connected modem-Ooma-router, some people say that setting both the Upstream Internet Speed and Downstream Internet Speed to 90% of the measured Upload and Download speed as measured by http://www.speedtest.net/ has worked well for them.

Other people has said that setting both the Upstream Internet Speed and Downstream Internet Speed to a value of about 1000 Kbps above the Upload and Download speed as measured by http://www.speedtest.net/ has worked well for them.
#83259 by lismith
Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:04 am
Thanks for the reply. I've turned off Wifi and made sure it was using automatic IP. It's as if a cable is not even plugged in. I've tried going to 172.27.35.1 anyway but of course it doesn't work because the connection is not even recognized. I have another laptop with Windows Server and no antivirus on it; I'll try with that one too. Thanks for posting the router settings too, I'll try and see if that helps. I'm afraid the home port has gone out on the hub, in that case I'll be limited to changing settings only in the router.
#83261 by thunderbird
Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:24 am
lismith wrote:Thanks for the reply. I've turned off Wifi and made sure it was using automatic IP. It's as if a cable is not even plugged in. I've tried going to 172.27.35.1 anyway but of course it doesn't work because the connection is not even recognized. I have another laptop with Windows Server and no antivirus on it; I'll try with that one too. Thanks for posting the router settings too, I'll try and see if that helps. I'm afraid the home port has gone out on the hub, in that case I'll be limited to changing settings only in the router.

If your client is configured for Windows Internet Name Service (WINS) and your WINS database becomes corrupt at any time, a simple "ipconfig /release", "ipconfig /renew" from an MS-DOS prompt will force the client to re-register with the primary WINS server.

With a computer connected with a network cable from the Ooma Hub Home port to the computer wired LAN port.
In your computer click on Start, then Run. The Run window opens. Type in cmd in the Open: box. A dos window opens. To the right of C:\ (and anything else) type ipconfig/release. Then type in ipconfig/renew.

Reboot the Hub, then the computer. Next type http://172.27.35.1

If that doesn't work, repeat the above steps a few times.

Next:
Right click on My Network Places and click on Properties. Right click on Local Area Connecion, then select Repair. See what happens.

Next:
Hub factory reset sequence:

1) Remove the power for the Ooma device.
2) Hold down the Ooma tab [blue light] and connect the power. Hold for 30 seconds until all the lights start flashing.

Once the lights stop flashing, release the Ooma tab and the device will reset to factory settings.
#83308 by lismith
Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:09 am
In the router, I've always had the upstream & downstream set to 0. So yesterday I changed that to 90% of tested speed (tested 20mbps down, 1 mbps up.) That made it start cutting out voice altogether and dropping a lot of calls. So I'm back to 0 upstream & downstream. I changed the priority of the ooma from 'premium' to 'exempt' but it doesn't seem to make any difference. not sure what else I can do without being able to access ooma setup.
#83313 by thunderbird
Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:15 am
lismith wrote:In the router, I've always had the upstream & downstream set to 0. So yesterday I changed that to 90% of tested speed (tested 20mbps down, 1 mbps up.) That made it start cutting out voice altogether and dropping a lot of calls. So I'm back to 0 upstream & downstream. I changed the priority of the ooma from 'premium' to 'exempt' but it doesn't seem to make any difference. not sure what else I can do without being able to access ooma setup.

Since you can't get your Ooma Hub's Home port to wake up, try setting the QoS Router settings to about a 1000 kbsp higher than the measured upload and download speeds as measured with http://www.speedtest.net/ and "premium' for your Ooma Hub, and test making and receiving phone calls.

If you can get your call to be somewhat satisfactory, there could be a chance that after an Ooma Hub firmware update, that the Home port might wake up again?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests