Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#83196 by mak
Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:54 am
Unit installed 4/29/2011. Number ported 5/13/2011.
Unit worked fine since initial installation.
Installed configuration is ...... cable modem -> to ooma telo -> to home router . ( home tel wiring connected to ooma)

On the evening of June 14, 2011< I returned home in the evening I found the telo Unit no longer functions.
Red flashing ooma rose .

I reset unit ( power off / on) 6 times.
Also observed that Internet connectivity was lost to my home network.
Home internet network / router had network connectivity but would not trans or receive data.

Verified with cable modem provider (Bright house) that internet connectivity and service was indeed functioning.
Troubleshooting action taken :
disconnected Telo and RE-configured as... cable modem- > home router .
Did a power reset once again.
In this configuration (without telo in the stream) my internet / home network works fine.

When reverting to .... cable modem -> to ooma telo -> to home router, internet access ceases to function. and ooma telo continuously flashes blue lights indicating no internet connected after power off/on reset process.

Incoming call are not received and go straight to ooma voice mail.
Obviously, no outgoing service.

Since I can not establish internet connectivity with the ooma telo 'online' it does not seem possible that ooma support will be able to troubleshoot remotely.

Ques: Will ooma provide timely response / support ? Will I have to wait days/ weeks for a replacement unit?
Is this typical of the ooma tele reliability?
Emailed ooma support - waiting for response.

btw - this outage occurred BEFORE a bad thunderstorm - so surge/lighting strikes were not the root cause.
#83197 by thunderbird
Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:10 am
mak:
Connect from your Ooma Telo Internet port to one of the router LAN ports.

Power the Ooma Telo.

Are you seeing at the Ooma Telo Internet port two tiny lights, one solid, and one flashing once in awhile?

If you aren't you Ooma Telo is probably defective. If you do see these lights, let your Ooma Telo boot as far as it will boot.

Temporarily access Ooma Setup by connecting a network cable from the Ooma Telo Home port to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer. Restart the computer. Type http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages should open.

Click on Internet, go to Connection type: and click the down arrow. Select Dynamic (DHCP).

Go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and click on Use Built In. Click on Update Device.

Reboot the Router. When the Router is done booting, reboot the Ooma Telo.

If these things doesn't help contact Ooma Customer Service. Maybe they can see something from their side.

If your Ooma Telo is defective and within the one year warranty period, Ooma will send you out shipping prepaid a replacement Ooma Telo, along with a prepaid shipping label to return the defective Ooma Telo.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
#83239 by mak
Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:35 pm
Thunderbird,
Thank you for the timely response and the step-by-step trouble shooting process.
Indeed, the internet LEDs were not lit when configured as you indicated.
I also preformed the addtional change by using the http://172.27.35.1 proceedure.

I then called ooma support who had me again go through the rebooting process with the telo 'in front-of' and 'behind' the LAN router. Indeed the ooma telo appears to be defective as 'to internet ' LEDs are never active .

ooma support is shipping a new replacement unit this evening under warrenty. once agin - thank you .
I hope this is the only time I will prevail on ooma support. thank you