Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#82982 by bocaboy
Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:51 am
I recently purchased a Telo to move from Vonage to Ooma. With Vonage, I could plug directly into the router, but I don't seem to be able to do that with the Telo. I'm using an Apple Airport Time Capsule and would prefer to tweak DNS, port forwarding, etc. through that device. Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to successfully plug the Ooma device directly into the router.

Another complication is that I need to run the Time Capsule in bridged mode. If I don't, I get a Dual NAT error.

Lastly, I don't seem to be able to get the Telo to take a static IP address and therefore assign my own DNS. I'm assuming someone out there has unraveled all this, and I'd sure appreciate your insight in helping me.

For the record, my Telo is currently setup the way the Quick Start instructions suggest and is operating normally. It's just not how I'd like to have the network configured.

Thanks so much for any input. I opened a ticket with Ooma but other than an automated reply, I've heard nothing.
#82983 by murphy
Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:03 am
Please describe your configuration in detail.
It's not clear how you have your equipment connected.

Dual NAT is not an error. It is actually more secure than single NAT. You can ignore the "error" reported by the Time Capsule.

The Telo works fine behind a router. That is the way mine is connected.
Put the Telo behind your router and give it a static reservation in the router based on it's MAC address (one higher than the MAC on the label). It will use whatever DNS the router tell it to use.
#82985 by bocaboy
Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:33 am
I currently have it set up with the supplied flat Ethernet cable running from the cable modem to the Telo's Internet port. A straight Ethernet cable is connected from the Home Networking port of the Telo to the WAN port of the Time Capsule (TC.) This is how the Quick Start guide suggests. That produces a double NAT error unless I run the TC in bridge mode.

What port on the Telo are you using to connect to the TC, and on the TC, are you connecting it to the WAN port or a regular port?

Thanks for your patience in answering this. I'm actually pretty good with understanding networking, but obviously this one has me a bit stumped.
#82986 by thunderbird
Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:01 am
bocaboy:
For connecting the Ooma Telo behind the router try the following:

Connect a network cable from the Ooma Telo Internet port to one of your router LAN Ports.

Temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma Telo Home port to the wired LAN port of a computer.

Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in your computer if turned on. Reboot the computer.

Type http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages Open.

Click on Internet. At Connection Type: click the down arrow and select Dynamic (DHCP).

MAC Address (To be used in any setup configuration):
While you are in Ooma Setup, Internet page, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change from Automatic to Use Built In. This will add stability to your setup.

Click on Update Device at bottom of page. Reboot the router, when the router is done booting, reboot the Ooma Device.

The Ooma Telo Internet connection Dynamic (DHCP) setting should force a connection from the router to the Ooma Telo.

Some other information:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11474&p=81709&hilit=Airport#p81709

For adding a static IP address (I'd make sure I could connect using Dynamic (DHCP) before doing the step below):
You can do this in your router, or do it in Ooma Setup in the Internet page. In Ooma Setup instead of choosing Dynamic (DHCP), you choose Static IP Address. Then go down and populate Static IP Address Options: with an IP address from you router. Click on Update Device. Reboot the router, when the router is done booting, reboot the Ooma Device.

IP Address:..................IP Address from Router (If you click on Status in Ooma Setup,
..............................under Network, after TO INTERNET port:....Connected: [ xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ]
..............................you will see the current IP issued by the router to the Ooma Telo.
Netmask:...................From router, usually 255.255.255.0
DNS Server 1:...............Same IP numbers as the first three blocks of numbers in your IP address,
..............................the last number block is 1.
DNS Server 2:..............Leave blank.
Router Address:...........Same IP numbers as the first three blocks of numbers in your IP address,
.............................the last number block is 1.
Last edited by thunderbird on Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
#82988 by murphy
Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:13 am
The WAN port of the router is connected to the modem.

The internet port of the Telo is connected to a LAN port of the router.
The Home port of the Telo is empty. (Except for temporary connections by a computer to configure the Telo)
It's possible to configure the Telo from the router side but I hesitate telling you how to do that before you have the Telo working.

QOS in the Telo is disabled (both values set to zero) since there is no traffic flowing through the Telo.
QOS is implemented in the router based on the Telo's Internet port MAC address (1 higher that the MAC on the Telo label).

If your router has an outbound firewall (most residential routers don't) turn it off to get the Telo working. If you want to turn it back on later you will have to find the port list in the Telo FAQ pages so you can open those ports in the outbound firewall. No ports need to be opened in the inbound firewall.

In case you are not aware of it, a cable modem MUST be power cycled EVERY time that you change what device is connected to it. If it's also a phone modem it has a backup battery and instead of power cycling it you push the reset button on the back of the modem.
#82996 by bocaboy
Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:40 am
Thanks to both of you for your instructions and advice. I'm back from errands and will work on it now.

One note is that Apple did not include QoS in Time Capsule. That makes me wonder whether I should leave everything the way it is since the sound quality on the Ooma is excellent. Also, I've been seeing that I should just instruct the TC to ignore the double NAT error since it doesn't affect functionality, and as Murphy noted, is actually more secure.

Again, thanks to you both and I'll report back with my progress.
#83053 by bocaboy
Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:27 am
So, after a lot of research and thought, I've decided to leave the setup as suggested by Ooma, with the Telo hooked directly to the cable modem and the router behind the Telo. Running the router in bridge mode seems to have made no difference in functionality at all, and in fact, the network actually seems a bit peppier. The phone quality is definitely better than what I had with Vonage, although to be fair, the Vonage unit was behind my router.

The main reason I decided to leave this setup as-is was the fact that Apple (stubbornly) refuses to put QoS in either Time Capsule or Airport Extreme. That means there's no way of prioritizing packets. I noticed often with Vonage that when a large download took place, the phone quality was compromised. With the Ooma I tested a large video download and network transfer of 1 GB, and there was no effect on the Ooma. The phone quality remained perfect.

If I had a router with QoS as part of the firmware, I might feel differently, but for Apple equipment, which doesn't have it, this seems to be the better option.

Here are the downsides of my decision, which may or may not be important to you.

1. Ooma's interface does not currently allow for changing DNS on your network. (This has been confirmed by Ooma Tech Support, who finally got back to me.) I prefer to use OpenDNS rather than Comcast's DNS, and had that set on my router so that all devices (computers, iPads, iPhones etc.) would use it. The workaround is that it now has to be manually entered into the network settings part of each device.
2. For reasons that I don't understand, the Telo uses an IP address scheme of "172" rather than the more common "192.168" or "10.10" for a private network. There isn't any real downside to this but it took me a bit by surprise. If this bothers you, and it does NOT bother me, then you could assign a different address to the Telo. The issue here was that all of my network devices, from computers to Tivos and Soundbridges, had the old IP address scheme and needed to be reconfigured or refreshed. This is because the DHCP lease was set for one week, so if the address was recently received, it was still there and "broke" the device.

So, for those of you who stumble across this post with the same issue I faced, my advice is that installing the Ooma as recommended in their documentation—in front of the router—works fine. Running the Tme Capsule (or Airport Express) in bridge mode simply instructs it to not act as a DHCP router and to defer to the Ooma for NAT. My experience has been that this doesn't make any difference whatsoever to the performance or other functionality of the router, in particular as a wireless device or a NAS backup for Time Machine.

Thanks to those who responded to my post, and I hope this helps future Ooma users get their Apple equipment configured.
Last edited by bocaboy on Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
#83055 by thunderbird
Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:51 am
bocaboy: Thanks for your feedback. The Apple equipment has always been a little different to work with. Some people think that the Apple equipment has auto built-in quality of service, even though Apple won't admit it. I don't know. Your feedback will help other Ooma forum users.
#83065 by highq
Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:27 am
Since way back in the history of the Internet, there have been three ranges of IP addreses reserved for private use:
A 10.0.0.0 through 10.255.255.255
B 172.16.0.0 through 172.31.0.0
C 192.168.0.0 through 192.168.255.0

If you find Ooma's default use of IP addresses 172.27.35.1 - 172.27.35.255 antipathetic for any reason at all, you're free to change to something else within the above-mentioned ranges.
#83068 by bocaboy
Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:59 pm
OK, then let me clarify. I have only used 192.168 and 10.10. Thanks for the info!