Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#82742 by oomg
Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:18 am
I purchased the Ooma Mobile app for my iPhone several months ago, but have yet to use it even though I am a multiple Premier subscriber. Rather than go into a detailed explanation, this is the primary reason why I have not used it:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10431&hilit=Line2

In any event, a couple friends who already have Ooma are interested in the app. One has an iPhone and the other has an LG Optimus running Android 2.2. Before making a recommendation, I thought it might be a good idea to update my information on the status of Ooma Mobile, and hear what others have experienced. So, let's hear it.
#82851 by oomg
Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:21 am
O.K., got it up and running on my iPhone. Seems to work very well. However, since I had installed the app more than six months ago, my iPhone indicates there is an update available. When I tried to load the update, I was informed that I would be required to pay the "full price" for the app. Now, it may be due to the fact that I ported a new number to my Ooma system as the primary number since first installing the app, but haven't confirmed this yet. Anyone else have a similar problem while attempting to update?

Also, still curious if the app is working as well on the Android based cell phones. Any comments would be appreciated.
#83052 by Gearscout
Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:51 am
Ooma mobile is working well for me. I have purchased 1 App and have it loaded on both my iPhone and iPod touch. Thinking of adding it to my iPad.

As a Premier subscriber, I get 250 free minutes a month, I think. Never used all of them! Went to Europe several times and used Ooma to call home daily for free -- calling another Ooma number costs nothing. Calling mobile phones in Europe can cost upwards of 30 cents a minute...that's not an Ooma charge, but the local carriers. Still, I put $10 in my pre-paid account and six months later, it's still mostly there waiting to be used...almost all of my calls with the App have been free.

With the iPhone, it's important to limit the calls to wireless network connections. There's no point in using 3G network to place an Ooma call. The iPod touch works just as well as the iPhone but you need to have the headset with the inline microphone.

The improvement I'm waiting for is the ability to RECEIVE calls.

Very satisfied with this App.
#83076 by lbmofo
Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:04 pm
forceman wrote:If you use Ooma mobile just under wi-fi, what is the advantage of Ooma mobile over Talkatone which is free unlimted in US and Canada?

Ooma app has no ads is one thing. Ooma's iLBC requires less bandwidth so chances are your calls would be of higher quality.
People with international bundle has access to their minutes anywhere there is wifi/3G.
#83097 by forceman
Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:30 am
First, I do not watch ads when I calling. So, Ads do not bother me.
2nd, Quality? GV has very good quality
3rd, with GV and Talkatone, you can call to US and Canada free also lower international rate the Ooma. You can call from anywhere in the world when there is wi-fi
So, I still do not see the advantage of Ooma mobile.
#83130 by EricJRW
Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:57 pm
forceman wrote:First, I do not watch ads when I calling. So, Ads do not bother me.
2nd, Quality? GV has very good quality
3rd, with GV and Talkatone, you can call to US and Canada free also lower international rate the Ooma. You can call from anywhere in the world when there is wi-fi
So, I still do not see the advantage of Ooma mobile.

Good subject!

Just installed Google Voice on my LG Optimus. Still goofing with it and have yet to make a call.

Never looked into the Ooma Android app (mostly since I'm new to Android and forgot about the Ooma option), should I?
Does the ooma app give users something that Google does not? Not that $10 is all that much, but GV is free whereas the ooma app is not.
#83131 by lbmofo
Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:21 pm
Ooma Mobile App has a few advantages that I like.

• Outgoing callerid is my home phone #. Although incoming is not supported right now, I go around that with multi-ring allowing someone I called to call me right back.
  • Uses 60% less data bandwidth compared to other phone applications; important if limited data plan and not on wifi. This also means that if your data coverage is less than stellar, your Ooma app voice quality would be better with less demanding voice protocol.
  • If you subscribe to an international bundle, you have access to your bucket anywhere there is data coverage or wifi.
  • Even if you just have a prepaid balance with Ooma, you have access to that with the Ooma app. I would think that most people like to keep it simple, keep 1 prepaid account and not have balance all over the place.
#83133 by forceman
Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:03 pm
I guess outgoing caller id is a plus. But since I do use GV, my GV is all over the place anyway.
I do not use Ooma international, I use GV exlusive for international calls for it is lower price then Ooma. Yes, I do have to have two accounts. But I do not have to do the bean counter as to how much minutes left as GV is free in US+Canada.