Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#82402 by thecgmguy
Sat May 28, 2011 9:48 am
I've noticed a intermittent issue with Ooma that I'd like assistance troubleshooting.

Roughly a couple times a week, the Ooma Telo will lose internet connectivity and the ooma logo will flash red. During this time, my cable modem will still show all link lights up and running. When I check the ooma device status page, it'll show the OOMA tunnel as disconnected. It doesn't seem to resolve this on it's own (I typically wait several minutes) so ultimately, I'll need to unplug ooma and plug it back in. This step by itself, resolves the issue.

Can you please help me understand why this happens? Are there logs on the ooma device you could collect?

I've verified that there isn't any packet loss when it's up (via pingtest.net). I'm not doing anything on the network during the changes.
#82404 by Cyberchat
Sat May 28, 2011 10:06 am
I've been an OOMA User for about one year. A few months ago, I went through a period of about a month where every couple of days I would notice the same issue, the OOMA device hung up with a Red logo. This would usually happen overnight, that is, I would notice it first thing in the morning.

I would unplug the power to the Telo for about ten seconds, plug it in and it would reboot with everything being OK again.

After about a month that problem stopped and hasn't happened again. I didn't contact OOMA support but just wrote it off as being a period wherein either OOMA or my cable supplier were probably doing some things overnight which disrupted the VOIP service.

I made this conclusion because at that time my cable supplier was in the process of making some network changes which intermittently interrupted the TV service and forced channel rescans, etc.

Generally speaking, for the past year the OOMA VOIP service has been very good in terms of availability, call quality and support responsiveness.
#82411 by thunderbird
Sat May 28, 2011 1:08 pm
thecgmguy wrote:I've noticed a intermittent issue with Ooma that I'd like assistance troubleshooting.

Roughly a couple times a week, the Ooma Telo will lose internet connectivity and the ooma logo will flash red. During this time, my cable modem will still show all link lights up and running. When I check the ooma device status page, it'll show the OOMA tunnel as disconnected. It doesn't seem to resolve this on it's own (I typically wait several minutes) so ultimately, I'll need to unplug ooma and plug it back in. This step by itself, resolves the issue.

Can you please help me understand why this happens? Are there logs on the ooma device you could collect?

I've verified that there isn't any packet loss when it's up (via pingtest.net). I'm not doing anything on the network during the changes.

To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Reboot your Modem, when the Modem is done booting reboot your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Reboot your Modem, when the Modem is done booting reboot your Router, when the Router is done booting, reboot your Ooma device.

Note: Reboot means remove power, then plug power back in for the device in the order listed above.