Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#81942 by dcastill
Mon May 23, 2011 8:16 am
Help new here. I called Customer Service and they were unable to help me. I have dial tone, and the phones that I have always have hooked up are NOT ringing. The switches on them are set for ringing, I have moved around cords. Whatelse? help!
#81943 by tomcat
Mon May 23, 2011 8:22 am
Do you have the ooma hooked up to your house wiring, and if so, did you disconnect any previous phone service wiring from your house wiring outside at the network interface box (NIB)?
#81944 by thunderbird
Mon May 23, 2011 8:24 am
dcastill wrote:Help new here. I called Customer Service and they were unable to help me. I have dial tone, and the phones that I have always have hooked up are NOT ringing. The switches on them are set for ringing, I have moved around cords. Whatelse? help!

First press the Envelope button on the face of the Ooma Telo until it turns yellow. Then press it again until it turns blue. Than listen for the Ooma dial tone, which is different from a regular, like the AT&T dial tone.
Than test call yourself or have someone else call your Ooma number.

If that doesn't work, test by connecting a corded phone only to the Ooma Phone port, to eliminate any other phone or house wiring loading down the Ooma phone system.

When you connected the Ooma phone system to the house phone wiring, did you disconnect the old phone provider phone wires where it comes into the house from the street. If you didn't this will cause this problem and may damage the Ooma phone system.
#81947 by southsound
Mon May 23, 2011 8:29 am
dcastill wrote:Help new here. I called Customer Service and they were unable to help me. I have dial tone, and the phones that I have always have hooked up are NOT ringing. The switches on them are set for ringing, I have moved around cords. Whatelse? help!

I combined your previous post for clarity:

dcastill wrote:I had the company Dry loop as that what you mean, or is there something else we need to do.. ALSO The
phones are not ringing that are attached to each wall jack.. I get a dial tone, but I do not hear incoming Rings. Solutions?
(I have an AT an T phone, corded, a panosonic cordless, and another corded SBC phone)

HELP. Want to hear it ring.

It sounds line you are using DSL to supply your Internet. If this is the case, then there are some additional considerations. When the telephone company converted your DSL to dry loop they may have either left your DSL signal on the first pair of your phone wiring (red/green or white/blue) or if they came out, they may have changed both the modem and your signal to the second pair (black/yellow or white/orange). Two clues would be: 1. Did they come into the home and make any changes to the jack where your modem is connected? 2. What does the dial tone sound like on the phones connected to your home wiring? Is it like it always has been or is it the melodic dial tone like you hear from a phone connected to your ooma? If they never came into the home, then you are probably still using pair 1 and your dial tone is actually from the utility. Some states and communities mandate the ability to dial 911 even on a terminated line.

If your existing service is still on the first pair, you either need to move all your phones (including the ooma PHONE port) to the second pair or just move the DSL modem and feed to the second line. Give us answers on the two questions above and we can walk you through the process of distribution.

Welcome to ooma and to the forum! :cool:
#81976 by dcastill
Mon May 23, 2011 11:53 am
Ok after playing with wiring and testing .. I went outside and yes DSL. I unplugged at the NIC boxnthe rj jacked .. To see if that would work, and it took down the Internet. Well I thought whatelse Can I do? Then the phone rang and shocked me...so maybe after all of this the integrated router needed to be reset...so I up and ringing and looking forward to lower bills :P