Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#81783 by EA PA
Fri May 20, 2011 2:25 pm
cskeptic wrote:Yes, I realize this may seem a bit paranoid, but I'm wondering if Ooma generates nuisance calls to sell their Premier service. Perhaps not, but how would we know?

Oh! I thought you were asking if the Ooma box generates nuisance calls to other Ooma users to sell their Premier service.

I thought that this would be amusing to cartoon... No offense. Just having a little fun ;)

I understand your frustration. I for one have had ZERO nuisance calls since I put Ooma into service. I did obtain a new number because I could not port. I did not have any blacklisting or call blocking active for 4 months. However, I did have Premier so I guess if they did have targets to harass, I would have been off of the list anyway. I activated the call blocking and still remain target free. I can at least attest to its effectiveness if you are considering sometime in the future.

As a side comment, in my 6 months experience with Ooma, I have found them to have integrity albeit with some growing pains. I am sure they would not want a reputation for this type of behavior as a younger company though. As you can see from the forum, there are those that would not hold back! Good luck getting rid of the phone riffraff. :x
#81784 by cskeptic
Fri May 20, 2011 2:30 pm
nn5i wrote:Interesting -- my telephone monitoring system rejects essentially all nuisance calls by preventing the phones from ringing for them. It logs them, though, just as it logs all calls. But since I installed Ooma it has had little or nothing to do. I have not, in the last year, been subject to any attempted nuisance calls. Not one. None. With Qwest, before Ooma, I got as many as ten per day, though the phones didn't ring and I learned of the attempt only later.

Thanks for the reply, nn5i. Did you port your number to Ooma, or did you select a new one? If it's a new one, could that have been responsible for the lack of nuisance calls? We ported our AT&T number, and that may have been a mistake.
#81785 by cskeptic
Fri May 20, 2011 2:41 pm
southsound wrote:What you might want to do is keep a log of the disconnected calls - maybe check your log and see if they are registering. Then, after you have a number of them, contact support and have them investigate. With date and time, they can check their logs and see if it might be a carrier problem. Welcome to ooma and sorry if I offended you.

No problem, south. I am a retired junior high school teacher, and I am not easily offended. :)

Thank you for the suggestion. Now that I've tried Ooma basic I'll use my trial of Ooma Premier to try to find out what is going on. I've activated the blacklists and am directing those messages and anonymous calls to voicemail. I set my answering machine to four rings and Ooma voicemail to 99 rings, which should route legitimate calls to the answering machine.

It will be interesting to see what winds up in the net. Any other suggestions? What am I missing?
#81787 by nn5i
Fri May 20, 2011 3:20 pm
cskeptic wrote:Thanks for the reply, nn5i. Did you port your number to Ooma, or did you select a new one? If it's a new one, could that have been responsible for the lack of nuisance calls? We ported our AT&T number, and that may have been a mistake.

It's a new number. That certainly accounts for the loss of old nuisances. My Ooma now deals with only one old nuisance -- me.

The absence of new nuisances argues against the idea that Ooma generates any.