Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#413 by Sup3rkirby
Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:30 am
I made sure to search for 'port forwarding' before I posted, but sorry if somehow there is still a topic that has resolved this issue already.

Basically, i want to set up some good old port forwards. But with the Ooma Hub installed, my IP address brings up the Ooma configuration page.

So looking through this I found where you can set up port forwarding. So I set the IP address to my wireless router on port 80(for both TCP and UDP).

But this seems to do nothing. When entering my IP address, I am still brought to the Ooma configureation page. Even if I specifically connect on port 80(but web browsers do this anyway by default).

So then, how exactly does port forwarding work with the Ooma Hub? I tried port forwarding once before on port 5900 and 5800(for some VNC), but this also failed.

I wouldn't call myself a 'noob' at this stuff either. Back before I had Ooma I had set up port forwarding several times for web servers, ftp, and VNC. And all of that was successful. It just seems that the Ooma Hub isn't actually forwarding any ports, period. Oh, and yes I made sure the IP I forwarded to was in fact, my wireless router(on the 172.27.35.1 subnet).

[EDIT]
I will also note that setting the DMZ Address to my wireless router does nothing as well. My router is also properly configured for port forwarding, it just simply isn't accessable right now with my Ooma Hub connected...
#415 by Dennis P
Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:20 pm
It sounds like you are doing everything right. Let me confirm a couple of things, just to make sure:

- Your ooma Hub is installed "in front of" your router, so that it sits in between your DSL/cable modem and your router?

- You are testing the port forwarding from "outside", ie from a public IP address, as opposed to a computer that might be hanging off your ooma Hub or behind your router?
#420 by Sup3rkirby
Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:22 pm
Yes my setup is: [INTERNET] -> [Cable Modem] -> [Ooma Hub] -> [Wireless Router]

As for the next part. I have been trying to test using DynDNS as I have set up a hostname there that routes to my home IP address. But this hostname from DynDNS just bring up my Ooma configuration page.

I am guessing that you mean enter such address(and/or my home IP) from a different computer on a different network(with a different IP) so that I can see if it is only computers on this network that bring up that Ooma page?

If so then I will have to get a friend to help me out, or go somewhere else with internet.
#422 by Dennis P
Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:22 pm
Yes, that is correct. You'll need to go elsewhere to access the Internet and try to hit your DynDNS hostname. You can also have a friend try, or if you have a cell phone that can access the Internet (but not through Wi-Fi), you could use that as well.
#429 by Sup3rkirby
Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:22 am
Yes, I simply needed someone outside of my network to enter my DynDNS address.

The port forwarding does work, as confirmed by a friend earlier today.

I guess when using the port forward interally, I must use the network IP while the outside must use the DynDNS address.
#2881 by vbvamsi
Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:02 am
Hi Sup3rkirby,

I am planning to setup port-forwarding on my router as well with dyndns. Could you please let me know the setup which worked for you?

Is it having your router's IP in DMZ or individually forwarding ports from ooma hub to the router.

I need one more clarification about dyndns. I will enter my dyndns username and pwd on the router setup. This will update dyndns whenever the IP address of router changes. Now my router is connected to OOMA hub and it has the same IP address even if my modem's IP is changed. Will this setup still work? Please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
#2885 by murphy
Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:23 am
This will not work. Your router will send the IP address that it gets from the ooma hub to DynDNS. Disable the DynDNS setup in your router and download and install the client software that DynDNS provides. Most of the routers that have built in support for DynDNS have not been approved by DynDNS and can get your account blocked if they do excessive updates. DynDNS says that if you use their client, then you don't risk having your account blocked.
#2941 by vbvamsi
Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:50 pm
Hi Murphy,

Thanks very much for the information you provided. I didnt know the risks involved by setting up dyndns in my router. But I cannot have my system up all the time to be able to connect to it.

I want to connect to my router's home page and send a wake up signal to my computer on ethernet which will start my computer from stand by and then work on the computer.

I thought that the only way to set this up is to setup dyndns in the router itself. If there is no other way, I will have to change my setting to MODEM -> ROUTER -> OOMA and setup QoS in my router.
#12275 by kbern
Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:55 pm
You wrote:
> You are testing the port forwarding from "outside", ie from a public IP address, as opposed to a computer that might be hanging off your ooma Hub or behind your router?

I don't think Ooma should behave that way because it means that it is changing the way my browser behaves/resolves vs. the way other people's do, it means some of my desktop links may not work when I'm at home (if, they point at my own server), and it makes it hard to test whether stuff really is accessible from outside.

The way routers and wireless access points/routers deal with port 80 issues like this is that if I want to get to the Ooma box's web UI page I would refer to it by its internal (downstream) name, e.g. 172.27.35.1. If I enter it's external (upstream) name (how the device before it sees it, in the case my cable modem) if it is not set up to forward a port, it should show its own UI, but if it *IS* set up to forward to port 80 on a downstream device, it should honor that request when it is called up via its "external" name.

This is how every router made works, and it really should be changed in Ooma.
#12279 by murphy
Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:53 am
To be able to access your outside IP address from inside your network the first device (ooma hub or your router) must implement the loop back protocol. Many routers do not do this properly if at all. I haven't tried it with the ooma hub since mine is is behind my router.

The problem is that if loop back isn't implemented, your computer uses DNS to get the external IP address and sends a request to that address. The router sends the request out into the void where it will be ignored. A router that implements loop back will recognize that the outbound request is addressed to it's WAN IP address and will intercept the packet and turn it around and send it back into the LAN as if it had come from the outside world.