Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#80880 by Tomcola
Sat May 07, 2011 11:57 am
I use freeconferencecalling.com for my business and have for over a year. Starting with Monday of last week, I now get an annoying recording warning of higher than normal charges and it delays my connection to the conference bridge by almost 2 minutes. Sometimes it won't connect and then I have to use my cell phone (for which I am charged) in order to get on my calls in time. How do I eliminate this?
#81030 by jen.ooma
Tue May 10, 2011 4:01 am
I have started to experience the same thing, PLUS my last 3 conference calls have dropped 30 minutes after I dial in. This has only been happening for the last 2 weeks - until then it worked fine. I have always enjoyed ooma for my business and personal use, but this is completely unacceptable.
#81034 by lbmofo
Tue May 10, 2011 6:07 am
jen.ooma wrote:I have started to experience the same thing, PLUS my last 3 conference calls have dropped 30 minutes after I dial in. This has only been happening for the last 2 weeks - until then it worked fine. I have always enjoyed ooma for my business and personal use, but this is completely unacceptable.

lbmofo wrote:If you have control over what free conf system you use, I suggest you change over to something Ooma points out http://www.rondee.com/

viewtopic.php?t=11501

The one you are using now is costing Ooma too much $ for every minute you call.
#81038 by jen.ooma
Tue May 10, 2011 7:08 am
I do not have control over what number I am calling - I am a participant in the call, not the initiator. Ooma needs to correct this issue.

Until 2 weeks ago, this was NOT a problem, so whatever setting was changed needs to be fixed. I pay for Ooma Premier service, and expect Premier service. Being dropped from business calls after 30 minutes is unacceptable.
#81051 by lbmofo
Tue May 10, 2011 9:38 am
jen.ooma wrote:I pay for Ooma Premier service, and expect Premier service.

If these guys were to charge 13 cents a minute for termination (traffic pumping at unreasonable rates), just 70 minutes of calls per month would evaporate the $10 you pay. From there, Ooma has to foot the bill.

jen.ooma wrote:Being dropped from business calls after 30 minutes is unacceptable.

Seems like you are from the unsympathetic camp. I am from the "don't ruin it for everyone else" camp. Ooma is intended for residential use; if you were calling your relatives/friends living within the footprint of these questionable carriers, that would be a different story. I wouldn't be surprised if you had to find alternate means to get to your business conference bridge in the near future.
#81058 by murphy
Tue May 10, 2011 9:52 am
Actually a "business conference bridge" is not being used.
You pay up front to use a business conference bridge.

A "free conference bridge" makes it's money by socking it to the calling phone company with abnormally high connection charges so the users think it's free.

IMHO phone companies will eventually block access to them and they will either go out of business or charge normal rates and bill their customers for the service.
#81059 by lbmofo
Tue May 10, 2011 10:47 am
lbmofo wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if you had to find alternate means to get to your business conference bridge in the near future.

Oops, I meant so called "business" conference bridge run by free conference companies that make money off of traffic pumping.

I get on business conference bridges all the time when working from home but they are legit. Not sure if helping Ooma but I opt for the toll free number to dial as well.

If you had to go with a free conference company, go with one such as Rondee http://www.rondee.com/Difference.php
#81088 by geobernd
Tue May 10, 2011 5:16 pm
I read this post about the conference bridge extortionist scams and am wondering what business would ever trust their corporate conference to such service... IMHO I would fire the Information/Risk Security Officer on the spot if this was the recommended conference service... then maybe there is no Information/Risk Security Officer and that's a problem in itself... Back to the topic at hand: Strongly suggest to your company to use a real commercial conference service and not one of these fly by nights... Point out all the risks around information leakage etc... and maybe you become the hero...