Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#80700 by Aubuchon
Wed May 04, 2011 3:10 pm
I've been waiting quite a while for a fix to this problem. Does anyone know of any other Voip service that supports faxing right out of the box? From now on, I will advise everyone to steer clear of ooma services and products. I would like a full refund from the ooma company since faxing worked fine when I bought it but it stopped working since they did the (automatic) firmware update to enhance voice quality. What a waste. Had such high hopes for this company...
#80748 by tegelad
Thu May 05, 2011 6:47 am
the only other voip vendor I have gotten to work is vonage ... and frankly ... I have found ooma to actually be more reliable ...

I have had only two failures, and one was due to the person in the household not doing *99 before using it ... the other situation it failed once and then I retried and it worked ....

I am using a Canon L80 Faxphone

+-ADT
#80767 by DTMF
Thu May 05, 2011 9:49 am
Fax is a dying protocol. Conditioning lines to work well for faxing would make lousy sound for voice calls. Ooma's *99 prefix for Fax/Data calls is a good workaround for those still clinging to this legacy technology. :cool:
#80781 by Aubuchon
Thu May 05, 2011 12:32 pm
The whole debate over fax machines being outdated has grown stale and should probably be put to pasture but here goes. I'll believe the protocol is dead when they stop selling the machines. I guess it might seem outdated for people who like to scan their documents then upload to their computer then email the docs but that's just adding extra steps making the process take longer. And yes I know that you can get a better image by changing it to a PDF doc. Faxing only takes one easy step.
I actually think the whole idea of a landline or even a voip line is outdated since most people are using cell phones including yours truly. I thought typewriters were extinct until I saw one for sale at Staples a few months ago. Felt like I went back in time for a few seconds. Tried the *99, filter from Radio Shack, dedicated wall electrical outlet, and all other suggestions covered in multiple threads. Nothing worked.
#80782 by DTMF
Thu May 05, 2011 1:15 pm
Aubuchon wrote:The whole debate over fax machines being outdated has grown stale and should probably be put to pasture

The pasture would be a good place to put the fax machine, rather than the debate. It's a technology that was invented to bootstrap digital image and document delivery onto analog phone service, because at that time, there were no affordable digital ways to deliver documents and images.

I used to have a coworker who loooved the fax machine. He refused to let our department head put a computer on his desk. He had his secretary print out his email, so he could reply to it by phone. He retired ~10 years ago. The fax machine should have, too.
#80783 by nn5i
Thu May 05, 2011 1:28 pm
Buggy whips, corsets, fax machines, Conestoga wagons, Daguerreotypes ... and let's equip the troops in Afghanistan with trebuchets. Think of the fuel our Navy could save by building galleons, galleasses, galleys, etc.! Oh yes -- I have many slide rules on hand, and I practice with a very nice katana.
#80784 by Aubuchon
Thu May 05, 2011 2:05 pm
Looks like I was right. Until someone wants to discuss specific user-friendly benefits of their preference then there's not much sense in having a debate. Just being dismissive and sarcastic reveals more about you than it does your preference. But, to each his own. Flame away...
#80785 by lbmofo
Thu May 05, 2011 2:22 pm
Aubuchon, my faxing with ooma works fine. Not sure why others have issues but then again I don't use fax much.

Incoming, I've gone with a "fax to email" service....was doing some evaluation a while back. Looked at the $1 a month solution by OneSuite and other $10 a month trials. OneSuite was attractive since I didn't receive much fax and it is cheap but ditched it since I had trouble getting faxes from a certain model of fax machines used at work. Finally settled on K7.net's free incoming fax. Only catch, outside of only 206 numbers, need to call myself and leave a VM every 30 days to keep number active. Since GV allows calls to my K7 number, I know K7 doesn't make $ off of hiked termination charges.

For outgoing, I use my old old old fax machine and it works just fine (didn't have to tweak anything) just by dialing *99.

For important stuff, I prefer to scan into pdf using my all in one printer and email to folks requesting fax; so I can keep a record of what's sent.

Just FYI.
#80789 by Hollywood
Thu May 05, 2011 2:52 pm
my 2 cents:

Fax is an older technology that is not used nearly as much as it used to be because of alternate methods of electronically sending documents. If you still use fax, I suppose it is important to you. No one should dispute that.

Fax worked well with phone systems that were based on copper wire. Ooma is a different technology using Internet that most of us have, and with Ooma we can get home phone for basically free after fees. The up front equipment usually pays for itself in a few months.

Apparently some people do get fax to work with Ooma, but after reading these forums, most don't, and also have problems with cable, satellite, alarm systems that need to call out over phone.

Ooma offers some support for fax, but it seems they should just write, it may work, but Ooma is only meant to be a voice phone system. They do have disclaimers for "lifeline" equipment.

Users that complain are justified because there are references to fax support, but if it doesn't work for you, you probably did not do anything wrong, it just doesn't work.

For me, I just use the voice system on cordless phones, and it save me hundreds a year, and provides many more features that I would not pay my old provider for.

I doubt you will find a local phone number dial tone for less then Ooma to use for your fax. Even though some of the people that responded to your topic did not solve this problem, I *think* they were trying to encourage you to find a different way to send your documents and still enjoy the savings you get with the Ooma voice service.

If you still NEED to use fax, Ooma is probably not going to work for you. Good luck, and I hope you find a low cost alternative. Let us know here what works.
#80796 by Aubuchon
Thu May 05, 2011 4:49 pm
Switching to an email-to-fax online service would do two things. First is the method of sending a document in hand. I would have to scan, then upload to computer then finally email the document which is a 3-stage process so I would have to invest more time to do all the extra steps. Second, I have checked into some of these services when I originally discontinued my landline and they mostly all require a fee. So in short, I would have to sacrifice convenience but also have to start paying a fee for giving up that convenience for something that was previously free and painless. No contest. I don't use this line for voice so guess it's going up on Craigslist soon. I wish Callvantage was still around. AT$T may be lacking in a lot of areas but at least they knew how to do voip right.